Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default i need a metal shop idea

there is no real rule it just has to be realistic that i can get done in a semester witch is about 3 months and needs to be something that will impress my teacher. thank you for the help

There is a section of Miller's site devoted to projects.
    Have you looked there?

Default Make this

Quote Originally Posted by migkid View Post
    there is no real rule it just has to be realistic that i can get done in a semester witch is about 3 months and needs to be something that will impress my teacher. thank you for the help
    I was looking to make something for my moms birthday and I ended up with this, straight forward and Cool as ****.

http://www.lfe.com/courses/Welding/M...%20Metal%20Art

I made a pair of jackstands in HS metal shop, back in the day. Still in use today and better than anything one can buy at Auto Zone, etc.

Cannot post a pic, because they are 3k miles away at the moment.

Basically, 2" etc. pipe, split three ways about two-thirds up from bottom. Spread into a triangle, reinforced with 1" flat stock at base between legs.

Internal, sliding pc. of smaller tube with saddle at top. Four (minimum) holes drilled both pc, round pin of appropriate diameter, with attached chain (lanyard) tacked to pin and chain (to preven loss of same) Pin used to fix internal pc at one of the four heights.

A boring project, maybe. Useful for life though. Wish i had made two sets.

Can post a pic in a month or so when i get back to where they are. For all i know, they are still offering said boring project in every class these days...no idea. It was a long time ago, ha ha.

Maybe he will let us know what he is going to build or at least show us the finished project along with some build photos.
    Last edited by Bistineau; 01-09-2013 at 08:18 AM.