Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

I can tell you that you can easily over spend when getting things together. The main thing is to not rush into a purchase. Like starting out, you don't need a bench grinder and a hand grinder. A hand grinder can do everything a bench grinder can do. I am almost 7 years into my business and I still go to flea markets to buy hand tools. I only go to harbor freight for air nozzles and rubber gloves and crap like that. I bought a 60 gal air compressor off a guy that was selling off stuff. That was just a gamble but 400 dollars and it never blew up. I just changed the oil as soon as I got it. Go to used equipment dealers, they will probably have air compressors and you can get some knowledge there.

metal costs quite a bit, consumables (wire, grinding wheels, ect) get expensive, you just have to learn to manage what you have.

Remember, most tools can double as another or 2 separate tools can equal 1 expensive equipment. You will have to decide that.

Quote Originally Posted by elvis View Post
    I think I paid something like $275 recently for a 125 bottle of c25 with a fillup. Now its mine. Also, I don't know much about oxy torches. If you can get a good deal on some it will be worth it. I'm looking at a cheap set for $300 with regs hoses and bottles. I have a plasma for cutting, but a torch is handy for preheating material. Plus, you practice gas welding! That is fun stuff!
    Ya I am having a hard time with the gas setup. I am debating a gas setup or plasma cutter off the bat one or the other, but both in the long run.

ALso to answer an earlier post, ya I thkn i will wait on a bench grinder. An Angle grinder plus I have a big milwaukee 7 inch grinder/buffer that will do alot of grinding.

Do you have an air compressor? A cheap way to get into the plasma game is the TD cutmaster 42. I have one. It is pretty good. I need a better air dryer so that I can get longer consumable life. Tips (or nozzles) costs about $4/ea and electrodes are about $7/ea. It costs me a little over $50 to get 5 of each at my lws. The cut kerf is very small and that is nice. All that being said, cut off wheels, sawz-all's and inginuity can cut everything that you will need to. I think having a good chop saw would be a better thing to buy right now. It would make nearly all the cuts you would need for your trailer or welding table. When you get your steel you can have 'em shear the plate that you'll use for the surface. When I bought my plasma I had the disposable income for it. I didn't have a welder at the time, but I had shop access with whatever I needed.

Maybe you want to buy my plasma? I don't think it is the best way to get started, but that would be your call. I was thinking about selling it and buying a spectrum 875. I bought my plasma because I lived in a town full of jeeps and I didn't know anyone that had the equipment to make precise cuts. Everyone had hot glue guns, but no one had anything other than a grinder or two. Also, another thing to consider is a jig saw with a metal blade. That works great too. And I would bet that you have a jig saw already...

Default What happended to me...

I have the chop saw, it was so buried under junk the other night that I opted for the saws-all with a metal blade...glad I did...took little to no time...still need to dig out that chop saw though.

Another thing you will want straight away are some "C" clamps and a bench vise...if you don't already have. I would add a bench vise before I worried about a bench grinder.
    MillerMatic 211 Auto-set w/MVP
    Just For Home Projects.

Quote Originally Posted by elvis View Post
    Do you have an air compressor? A cheap way to get into the plasma game is the TD cutmaster 42. I have one. It is pretty good. I need a better air dryer so that I can get longer consumable life. Tips (or nozzles) costs about $4/ea and electrodes are about $7/ea. It costs me a little over $50 to get 5 of each at my lws. The cut kerf is very small and that is nice. All that being said, cut off wheels, sawz-all's and inginuity can cut everything that you will need to. I think having a good chop saw would be a better thing to buy right now. It would make nearly all the cuts you would need for your trailer or welding table. When you get your steel you can have 'em shear the plate that you'll use for the surface. When I bought my plasma I had the disposable income for it. I didn't have a welder at the time, but I had shop access with whatever I needed.

Maybe you want to buy my plasma? I don't think it is the best way to get started, but that would be your call. I was thinking about selling it and buying a spectrum 875. I bought my plasma because I lived in a town full of jeeps and I didn't know anyone that had the equipment to make precise cuts. Everyone had hot glue guns, but no one had anything other than a grinder or two. Also, another thing to consider is a jig saw with a metal blade. That works great too. And I would bet that you have a jig saw already...
    Well thats cool being a carpenter, I have sawzalls, miter saw and cheap miter saw I dont see why I couldnt put an abrasive metal cutting blade on it. Not to metion a sabre saw or jig saw, milwaukee circular saw, table saw set up for wood of course. But I think I have enough saws and already have lots of metal cutting blades for everything but the miter saw, and I dont care if I burn my cheap miter saw up, I only ever used it for making straigt cuts fast on wood. I wouldnt want to do that to my good miter saw. I got lots and lots of tools just not really set up for welding yet. I got speed squars, couple two foot framing squares other misc squars. Heavy duty drills, light duty for getting into small cabinets. I have lots of cordless and corded power tools. I think I can make the sawzall, jig saw circular with abrasive blade, and the even the the table saw with an abrasive metal cutting blade. To start off I think I can make them work to cut things I will need to start practicing. I do have an air compressor, used it mainly just for finish nailing. Definitly going to be getting a nice compressor soon, I been wanting to do that for a long time. I even found 2 slag hammers in the basement. A while back a neighbor who ended up turning to drugs, sold me a box of his dad's stuff, siad it was his, i know beter, but in there are wire brush bits for drills, abrasive blads, a good bit of stuff for welding his dad was a boilermaker. SO I was happy to go through and actually find some stuff in there that I can use for my new mission. I have a milwaukee heavy duty high speed buffer which will work as a grinder, but I will still get an angle grinder. I have a very nice heavy duty vice I never used, since the vice I have on my work bench worked well enough for what I needed it for. I have so many tools. I have many vice type clamsps, lots of Plumbing tools, propane torches etc etc. Lots of mechanic tools as well. But ya maybe I will hold off on the plazma cutter, cause all I would get at this point would be a cheapo. So I might as well hold off. I do want to get a 125 cf tank for co2/argon. I am going to call my local welding supply store tomorrow see what they charge for the a 125 CF tank, compared to renting one. I think I already know I would rather have my own. I dont want to make this post to long as I already did.

You guys have been really helpful and I really truely appreciate all the Input. Soon as I start actually welding even on some scrap I will upload pics so maybe you guys can tell me what I am doing right or wrong. Then i am going to draw up some plans, for my cart that I will make. I have plans for a table but I dont like the table I have the plans for so I will modify it or find a different one say on youtube. Welder should be delivered tomorrow. I cant wait.

Thanks again to everyone,

Pat M AKA PMAC

PS. I posted this very late, so if there are parts that I didint make sense or lots of spelling errors please forgive me. I am off to bed soon as I submit this post. I just got done pondering weling helmets still not sure what one I want to get. I got specs from previous poster 9-13 adh with at least 4 sensors? I hope thats right.

Goodnite.

Hi Paul
    Sorry about the late PM reply - I didn't see your message until today - and I should have checked this thread before replying as I believe you've already gotten the MM211 in hand - which is a great choice.
    Miller Thunderbolt 225 AC/DC
    Millermatic 211 Auto/MVP

Default You may be confussed...or maybe it is I.

Yep...it was me.
    Forget it.
    Last edited by Doughboyracer; 12-19-2012 at 08:59 AM.
    MillerMatic 211 Auto-set w/MVP
    Just For Home Projects.

Default Finally Arrived

Well got my MM211 delivered today. It seems like a nice unit. Heavy thing.

Earlier today, I ordered a 125 Cu Ft argon/co2 tank 2 pair of gloves, a flame proof jacket, and the Lincoln K3028 Black viking Helmet. I made sure it had 4 sensors and it seemed like a very reasonable price.

Now i just need my tank and items to get delivered, I forgot the nozzle gel, I will grab it at HD. I also need to get some scrap pieces of metal to start practicing, some tack welds, but joints, fillet welds, and some lap joints.

I really appreciate all the help from everyone. Soon as I get started I will be uploading some pics so i can get input on what i am doing right or wrong. I am going to hold off an a plasma cutter, til I can afford a decent one. I dont want know garbo. This welder seems very very nice. Very heavy for a small unit. I am excited. When it comes time to do my welding table, I might just buy the metal precut to the size I need. I think I have enough tools to cut the type of metal I will be practicing on.

Thanks again Everyone!

Pat M-Happy Camper.

Don't forget, you can get a 10# spool of fluxcore wire and won't need sheilding gas, AND you can weld outdoors in windy conditions. You just have to chip off the flux between passes. Fluxcore wire also gets a little better penetration than the solid core wire.

I was confused luckily i didnt place another order for stuff. I thought this would only do an 8 lb spool. BUt i guess what it meant was an 8 inch spool of 10lb???

I had some in a cart with nozzles and stuff like that. I am going to change them 2 lb's for 10lb spools. I was wondering why I couldnt find 8 lb spools of wire. So its 8 inch spool that is 10 lbs of wire right??

GEEESH lucky I didnt check out LOL! Cause I dont want to mess with 2 lb'ers.

I want to get a 10lb spool of flux core and a 10 lb of solid wire.

Another question, How long will the 125 cu ft tank last?
    It is 8 inch spolls not 8 lb spools, its 8 inch spools with 10 lbs of wire?

Thanks again,

I know I am getting to be a PITA, Sorry for that.

I really appreciate the help. I am so glad I got the MM211 Just looking at the aluminum inside the welder, compared to them home depot and lowes Lincoln plastic drive crap.