Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Auto-Set Question

I recently purchased a MM211 Auto-Set with MVP and so far it has been a great unit. While the Auto-Set feature works as advertised I have found it runs a little hot so I have been setting it manually like I am used to. But it got me thinking about how the Auto-Set works and exactly what it does. I could not find a good explanation on the Miller site so I sent Miller Tech Support the question and have not received an answer. I am guessing that it somehow automatically sets the voltage based on the selected WFS.

So here is the question. Exactly what does the Auto-Set feature do and how does it work? I know how to use it I just want to know how it works.

Anyone have any ideas?

Miller where are you?

Who cares? That thing is junk anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Cgotto6 View Post
    Who cares? That thing is junk anyways.
    From what I've read from everyone on this site and other sites, every MillerMatic with Autoset needs to be adjusted manually to suit the situation you are engaged in at the time. I have a MM 140 W/O Autoset and just set it from the chart inside the door and go from there on fine tuning it to what I want. The Autoset seems to be more of a sales gimick rather than a legitimate/useful welding feature. So your probably better off ignoring the Autoset and set it yourself to your preferrences to begin with. Too bad they don't offer it with and without Autoset, without would most likely cost less and still get a useful machine. The autoset is just something to run up the price(and something else to fail) and you don't use it anyway. So set it manually and weld away, forget it has autoset.