Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Porch Steps

Default Porch Steps

Here are pix of my latest welding project. It is a set of steps up to the front porch of my new home. The porch is about 7' above the ground elevation so I made it with a landing about halfway up. The stair treads and landing are made from bar grating I got from work for free when we replaced a bunch that had gotten rusty. They were originaly hot dipped galvinized. The landing is 6x7', and the stairs are 12" deep with a 7" rise. The bottom set is 51" wide and the top 53". They are not complete as yet, still have to make and install the infill panels in the hand railings.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Porch Steps

More pix of the build. I hydro-blasted(pressure washed 2800 psi) the grating to remove loose rust and applied a rust killer product I got from Sherwin-Williams. Then I sprayed 2 good coats of Rustoleum Primer for rusty metal over that. Then primer was then coated with 2 heavy coats of Rustoleum Hunter Green paint. The rest of the framing, I built from new steel and it got a good cleaning with paint thinner. Then two coats of the primer and paint like the grating.
    The legs for the landing are 2x2x1/4" square tubing set in concrete more than 2' in the ground. The holes were filled with around 200 Lbs. of concrete each. I welded 2 10" peices of 2x2x1/4 angle iron on each legs spaced 6" apart, one on either side welded on all 4 sides where the angle iron and tubing meet. This should keep the legs from sinking in the ground.
    The frame for the landing is made from 2.5x2.5x1/4" angle iron. The grating on it is 1.75" thick. I had to use 4 pieces to cover the surface. These were welded to the frame on each end and welded to the one on either side to insure the tops were level with each other(the gratings were bowed slightly) this flattened out then walk surface.
    Then I started on the handrails.

Default Hand Rails

The hand rails are mad from 1.25x11gage square tubing for the uprights and 1.25x14gage square tubing for the top rails.
    You can see an opening in the skirting under the house to get access underneath for storing stuff. I made a gate in the railing to make a direct path to it from the top set of steps, without having to go all the way to ground level and around the landing and back up the retaining wall to get stuff from under the house or put stuff in.
    The last 2 pix are where I set up my cooking apparatus to cook for Thanksgiving. The smoker(early Christmas present) had a turkey and a ham in it. And I fried 2 turkeys in the pot set up next to it.
    I got this far and got it all painted the day before Thanksgiving to make it look nice for all the company we had come over to consume the feast.

Looks great . Just make sure you don't wear your high heel work boots .

Nice work! but i have a feeling that tree is going to give you problems after a while...

Quote Originally Posted by BD1 View Post
    Looks great . Just make sure you don't wear your high heel work boots .
    High heels are all right, just as long as they are not Spike heels. You gotta zoom in on this to read it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bistineau View Post
    High heels are all right, just as long as they are not Spike heels. You gotta zoom in on this to read it.
    Is that you ????? Kidding, you don't have a beard !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BD1 View Post
    Is that you ????? Kidding, you don't have a beard !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    What happened to it?? Wait, just checked it's still here. But NO that's not me. I'm not a Terrorist. That outfit wouldn't look goood on me anyway.

Nice build, but how in the world did the contractor NOT leave a stairway to your front door?

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky45 View Post
    Nice build, but how in the world did the contractor NOT leave a stairway to your front door?
    It's a double wide Mobile home and they are only required to supply one set of temporary steps. These steps are only high enough to reach the back door, with cinder block shims. I guess that will be another project later on. Stand by for that one.I do have another set of steps I built to the side/utility room door. It has a 6x6' landing, with a roof over the landing. The same general design, material and color. I will post up pix if anyone wants to see'em.