Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Let's say I want to take home $25 an hour. I'd have to ask for $35 to pay for cost.

$25 an hour is a lot of money in Florida. But if I was doing a side job I charge $50 at least.
    Last edited by westpoint; 12-14-2012 at 11:42 AM.

is this in a shop?
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

You really need to find out what the company requires of you, ins., workers comp, use your own equipment or theirs, etc. If you have to pay ssi that alone is 15.4% of your gross. Fed tax depends on tax bracket, could be another 10% to 15%, health ins.. It all eats into your take home pay. Go talk to some of the employees to see what they are doing.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

It's in a shop or outside at one establishment. They deal with trucks that pick up large dumpsters. I would repairing small structural stuff on the trucks like tube s steel and plate and fenders. That's it really. My own tools. They supply welder and oxy acet. It's just so the company dost have to pay for workers comp insurance and crap. They pay my company not me as a person. I got a call from the owner offering 17 for entry level with a lot of room for promotions. I won't Need insurance or anything to work there.........I was thinking 20......

Quote Originally Posted by westpoint View Post
    It's in a shop or outside at one establishment. They deal with trucks that pick up large dumpsters. I would repairing small structural stuff on the trucks like tube s steel and plate and fenders. That's it really. My own tools. They supply welder and oxy acet. It's just so the company dost have to pay for workers comp insurance and crap. They pay my company not me as a person. I got a call from the owner offering 17 for entry level with a lot of room for promotions. I won't Need insurance or anything to work there.........I was thinking 20......
    The guy sure is working the system

17 bux for an Independant contractor ? Ha!

And what's this talk about promotion? You don't promote contractors
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

Default Good job? independant contractor?

Go to McD's, all said and done, you'll make more take home at the end of the year.

The question of whether a worker is an employee or an independent contractor affects more than just how the worker gets paid. It also affects the employer’s liability.

An employer’s liability under Florida contract and tort laws (including negligent acts that cause personal injury and liability for compensatory and punitive damages) is determined by extent to which the employer may be held liable for an employee’s actions within the course and scope of the employment. If the worker is an independent contractor, the employer isn’t liable.

He doesn't need you to get liability insurance, because if he gets an independent contractor to do the welding, it's now your responsibility. All law suits are now passed on to the contractor who performed the work (YOU)

stay away from him...a guy that works the system like that mmm...

might not be very reliable .

You should RUN away, not walk away, from this "deal".

The guy isn't doing this for you out of the goodness of his heart, if he was truely in a legit business he would already have workmens comp, tax withholding, liability, etc. etc. already set up. His only interest is saving himself money, and the easiest way to do so is by screwing you and others like you over. I ran into a few guys like this thirty years ago, when starting out, I never drank the Kool-aid. I didn't inhale it either
    Obviously, I'm just a hack-artist, you shouldn't be listening to anything I say .....

ok here me out. i understand what you guys are saying and i appreciate the advice....but

this company is just like me working for a company when it comes to using their welder, their cutting torch, their welding wire, their electricity...all i need are hand tools, and a grinder.......

what the guy is doing is trying not to pay workmans comp, insurance, and bebifits.

now the way i figured the #'s is.......for insurance, coorperation, workers comp its $1 an hour for the year at 40 hours a week.

plus i was paying taxes before, so paying them now will all be the same.

so at $21 an hour i am making 14k more a year, and only have to pay for corperation, workmans comp, and insurance.....then write off gas, clothes, phone, tools........on taxes.

does that seem right?