Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Good job? independant contractor?

I have a oppertunity to take a job for a company as a independant contractor, welding and fabricating. what does that meen? no benefits?, no workmans comp?, no unemployment?, have to pay my own taxes?

if so, how much more money should i ask for over my origional number in my head that would be with a company not as a independant contractor? thanks

All you can get.

Quote Originally Posted by go2building View Post
    All you can get.

well, i did give the owner a idea of what i was expecting per hour, but after that he told me there were no benefits, and that everyone was a independant contractor. i am waiting for a call for a hire...if and when they call me i am going to ask what exactly thier term of independant contractor is, and let them know that i will need a higher hourly pay in order to work under that situation. when he asks what i want, i was thinking of asking what the other welder fabricators there are making. should i do that or just aim high?

be interested in what he considers an independent contractor

You get to come and go as you please?
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

Quote Originally Posted by Broccoli1 View Post
    be interested in what he considers an independent contractor

You get to come and go as you please?
    i dunno broc. im ganna find out next week hopefully when they call. ill keep ya's posted. thanks.

I'm on my phone

You have take in to account that he will not be paying
    WC nor taking taxes out etc etc

Your hourly rate should be considerably higher as an independent
    Since you have to cover the "overhead"
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

Different states have different laws on what constitutes an independent contractor. Do a search and see what the legalities are.
    NJ requires that you work independently for more than just that company.
    State and Federal governments are cracking down on falsely represented independent contractors.
    If you are welding for a company I would think, if something went wrong, you would be setting yourself up for a Major liability.
    That said, I would ask for at least enough to cover liability insurance, health insurance, vacation, and Social Security/Medicare.
    Kevin

yeah im afraid that since i allready threw out a number, before i was told it was a independent contractor position, i might be stuck. i dont want to look like a douche. how can i approach this? wait till they call, then ask for more info on what the company considers independant contractor. then explain that the number i threw out there was based on being a regular employee with benefits?

i really want this job.

Quote Originally Posted by westpoint View Post
    yeah im afraid that since i allready threw out a number, before i was told it was a independent contractor position, i might be stuck. i dont want to look like a douche. how can i approach this? wait till they call, then ask for more info on what the company considers independant contractor. then explain that the number i threw out there was based on being a regular employee with benefits?

i really want this job.
    That's what I would do west, dont undercut yourself even if you really need the job, dont forget you have bills to pay as well.
    good luck

What state is this job in?