Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bobcat 250

Default Bobcat 250

I have a newer Bobcat 250 at work that has everyone stumped. It is the only gas welder we have. I am a diesel mechanic which is good because we have 20 diesel welders but only one gas SN# MA180071h . The motor doesn't run it cranks, sparks, and I have fuel after the fuel pump is there something I am missing? I can get it to fire and run for a moment on starting fluid. if i poor gas in the carburetor it will sputter and run for a minuet then die. The carburetor is clean. The motor is a Kohler SN# 4013403941. Is there some kind of electric shut off or something. Thank you in advance.
    Never Satisfied

Millermatic 211
    Maxstar 150STL
    Metabos
    Kennedy Maintenance Pro Full
    Makita Cordless 18v Li-Ion
    Stihl TS 420

Timfrank88@live.com

What about the low oil shut off switch, could this be the culprit?
    Nick

I know it has oil but how does the switch work? Stop spark? because I have spark? How would I test it?
    Never Satisfied

Millermatic 211
    Maxstar 150STL
    Metabos
    Stihl TS 420

Timfrank88@live.com

My honda on my compressor was doing the same thing. I thought my carb was clean. I was wrong. Took carb apart, pulled float needle and ran a piece of wire ( from a twist tie off a loaf of bread ) thru the tube . Put back together and it fired up first pull. All this done after i sprayed a whole can of good carb cleaner thru it and it still wouldn't run. If you are getting gas to the bowl that may be your problem

Tim,
    I remember reading on the forum that if the switch failed it could cause the unit not to start. I could be wrong, but I seem to remember something like that. Maybe we could do a search. I am sure tomorrow when Cruizer or Duane sees this you will get your answer.
    Nick

Thanks Nick yea I'm hoping its something like that. I am not a small engine guy. I don't think it's the carburetor one of my coworkers cleaned it. I didn't take the carb apart myself but he is pretty reliable. I forgot to mention the welder has less than 125 hours on it.
    Never Satisfied

Millermatic 211
    Maxstar 150STL
    Metabos
    Stihl TS 420

Timfrank88@live.com

Try bypassing the low oil switch.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

Just behind the carb sits the fuel shutdown solenoid, perhaps the wire that runs it came off.

Nothing to do with oil pressure switch, as you wouln't get any spark
    Last edited by cruizer; 12-12-2012 at 08:33 PM.

Default Engine won't start

You can go to opeengines.com and download the manual for that engine or look at the parts breakdown for free, they are a online kolher dealer.

Quote Originally Posted by Rezeppa View Post
    Thanks Nick yea I'm hoping its something like that. I am not a small engine guy. I don't think it's the carburetor one of my coworkers cleaned it. I didn't take the carb apart myself but he is pretty reliable. I forgot to mention the welder has less than 125 hours on it.
    The fuel cut-off solenoid ( already mentioned by Cruizer) will sometimes gum up and ethanol will corrode the solenoid stem.

Easy to clean if gummed up and easy to replace if corroded.

If gummed up, sometimes you can tap on the solenoid while the engine is being cranked and get it unstuck.

Griff
    Last edited by griff01; 12-14-2012 at 07:37 AM. Reason: clarification