Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Noob here, Critique my welds please...

I just started welding a couple weeks ago and here is what I have so far.

Welder is a Millermatic 251, .035 wire, 5% Oxygen 95% Argon gas.

Settings were 22.0 volts and 620 wire speed.

The material was all 1/4 inch mild steel.

Any input is appreciated, Thanks guys.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default looks pretty good!

Are you traveling really fast or using kind of a whipping technique? herringbone ripple pattern looks like your really moving. I have seen some production welding where the welders had to have that ripple pattern or they sent them packing.
    I have a welding addiction

...the only stupid question is the one you didn't ask

With a 251, i think the setting you posted for the weld you're showing is wrong. At 22 volts, if you put the wire speed at 620 it wont work. What was really yor setting?

Are you pulsing with the trigger?

That looks like a series of small welds stacked on each other to give an appearance like TIG.

Some pros strive to make their beads look like TIG AFTER they've mastered MIG welding. If you're just starting out, you beads should be straight lines with some "C" shaped ripples in them. "V" ripples mean you're moving too fast.

Are you lefty or righty, or is the first pic upside down!

no pulsing, all of those were continuous welds. I am a righty and prefer to weld from right to left.

I double checked the settings today and they are indeed 22v 620 wire speed, why do you think that that would not work? Is their a better setting that I should use?

Default Noob here, Critique my welds please...

I agree, the wire speed is way to high. Should be in the 380 range but not over 400.
    Even with 98% argon I don't think u can get spray transfer at 22volts but even at 24 volt & spray arc, wire speed would be around 400-425 not even close to 600.
    But as for a beginner your welds look good !!!
    As for me I like a smother weld for my mig welding, I don't try to make mine look like Tig. I feel a smooth weld is as strong or stronger.
    Look up notch affect & read as it applies to metal strength.

Quote Originally Posted by BCCS View Post
    no pulsing, all of those were continuous welds. I am a righty and prefer to weld from right to left.

I double checked the settings today and they are indeed 22v 620 wire speed, why do you think that that would not work? Is their a better setting that I should use?
    Hi, it is because after using the 251 wirefeeder for many years, I know what setting works for .035 and at the setting you're stating, the wire wouldn't be able to melt fast enough. You'de have to turn down your wire speed down to around 300 or less like gnforge said. And go for straight beads not the weave type.
    Try it out let us know.

WAAAYYYY too fast! Let the puddle form an oval shape and dont let the back edge form a point.

Don't whip mig
    Turn your wire speed down to 365-380 ish
    Looks like you have good control, make sure you are pushing your weld and maintaining the proper gun angles. Practice practice practice.
    Miller syncrowave 200 runner with coolmate 4
    and wp2025 weldcraft torch
    Miller 125c plasma cutter