Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Looking to buy a welder and learn how to weld

Hello,

I have been wanting to learn to weld for a pretty long time now and for one reason or another I never did.

I have a few questions. I would someday like to be able to build a 6x10 utility trailer, but am no where expienced to do that now. So I guess my first question is, what would be a good welder to start with that would allow me to one day build a utility trailer?

I am a carpenter by trade, with light electrical and plumbing experience, mainly installing kitchens and bathrooms. I do mostly finish carpentry now.

I would really like to learn to weld, but i dont want to buy just a junko welder. I would like something I could kinda grow into but not over doing it. I have put some money aside to buy some equiptment for this. I have read some books, and watched countless how to videos.

I have so many questions, and would really like to start asap.

Should I start with a mig welder or just maybe an ac/dc stick welder?
    Should I look for a used welder as compared to a new one?

Only thing about a used one, is since I dont know to much about it I would hate to buy junk. I do want to stay with a miller, or name brand.

If someone would teach me I would even work for them for free just to gain the experience.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
    Last edited by pmac; 12-11-2012 at 03:58 PM.

I would look at the Hobart Stickmate AC/DC welder, or the Miller Thunderbolt . Mig is supposed to be easier to learn, but IMO, it's harder to do right. I would rather see you running stick for a large trailer.

http://www.hobartwelders.com/product...lx235ac-160dc/

http://www.millerwelds.com/products/...p?model=M16100

Well That is the long term goal is the trailer. I dont plan on just starting out and doing a trailer I wish it was that easy LOL. But that is something I would like to build up to.

But I just want to learn first like building a cart, welding table, maybe being able to do an exhaust on my truck etc but ultimatly something that will be able to do a trailer when I am good enough.

So you think like ac/dc arc welder to start. I just dont want to buy a welder, then when i am better or actually able to weld have to buy a new one to do say a utility trailer?

Something that I can learn on good.

MM211

Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

^^
    MM211
    Or the new Multimatic 200 ( lots more $$$ )
    Kevin

Mig, MM211, go with new, will last until you upgrade. You can add a spoolgun later when you start on aluminum. Everyone always tries aluminum!! Also recommend a class at local community college, some have a condensed class for hobbyist. Good luck!!!

Agreed,,, you are a poster child for a 211.

Id either go dynasty 700 or a hobart 210/ mm211. Depending on how much growing into you want. Really though the 210/211 great for a first weld on up, and mvp is a nice feature to have.
    -steve

Forgive me for not recommending blue, but the TA fabricator multifunction machines may serve you well. They're quality machines at a decent price with a decent resale value (though not like Miller's).

They make a 181, 211 and 252 series. You can MIG, Stick or DC TIG with one machine.

What ever you want