Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Syncrowave Problems

I have a older (98-00 range) SW 250. It welds fine in DC with HF start. But when welding alum the arc is unstable and most times has to be scratch started. Have done all the typical things. Tungsten prep, good ground, cleaned points, adjusted points, checked gas, etc. I'm concerned the HF maybe going out, would just like to confirm that before I start spending money.

My understanding is that the hf is going out. Cause i used one and hf would start ever now and then and the i was stick welding switched back to tig and wouldnt ever run again. But would scratch start tig fine.

Hi Bryan,
    I have an older Syncro 250. I am far from an expert, but I willl try to help.

First could you post all of your machine's settings, such as balance, HF intensity, HF setting, polarity (pretty much given), tungsten type, etc.?

In DC tig mode the HF is only (usually) used to start the arc without contaminating the tungsten and then shut off when the arc is stable. In AC tig mode, the HF is used to maintain the arc (continuous setting on the machine).

You said you can scratch start on aluminum (AC pol), but will the arc maintain after you scratch start? Also will the machine stick weld in AC mode (careful when doing this)?

Are you welding on a table that has some sort of a power receptacle attached to it?

Quote Originally Posted by zachary kling View Post
    Hi Bryan,
    I have an older Syncro 250. I am far from an expert, but I willl try to help.

First could you post all of your machine's settings, such as balance, HF intensity, HF setting, polarity (pretty much given), tungsten type, etc.?

In DC tig mode the HF is only (usually) used to start the arc without contaminating the tungsten and then shut off when the arc is stable. In AC tig mode, the HF is used to maintain the arc (continuous setting on the machine).

You said you can scratch start on aluminum (AC pol), but will the arc maintain after you scratch start? Also will the machine stick weld in AC mode (careful when doing this)?
    We normally run with the balance between 9-10, but have tried between 4-8 with no change with the issue. Have tried the HF setting from 40-100 and HF is always continuous with alum. Ceriated and Thoriated tungsten's used. When scratch starting on alum the arc will maintain, but is erratic. Need stick welded with it on ac only dc.

Quote Originally Posted by cruizer View Post
    Are you welding on a table that has some sort of a power receptacle attached to it?
    No I am not.

Sounds like your machine is set up properly.

I would try stick welding on AC to rule out any issues with the AC side of the machine.

One other thing to try... See if the HF start on DC will run for an extended period of time. As in lift the bottom panel cover and keep an eye on your spark gap, while holding the pedal down. Be careful when doing this to not either shock yourself or strike an arc on something random. You should have a very healthy blue spark over the surface of both spark gaps. I know you said you adjusted them, but you may just want to do this visual inspection.

Cruizer may be onto something about AC interference. When was the last time AC tig mode worked properly on that machine? What has changed since then?