Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by JTMcC View Post
    The lows this week in Flagstaff are running between 3 and 8 degrees above. You have to call ahead to RV parks so they can plow a space for you.
    Flag averages just over a hundred inches of snow per year, much more at higher elevations. There's a ski resort just outside of town and another ski run about 30 miles away in Williams. I've worked many, many times in sub zero weather across No AZ. Like he said, AZ has a wide variety of terrain.

J
    Where are you at? We should get together and drink some beer and talk about how cool blue stuff is... ha! Flagstaff is essentially where I'm at.

I know this sounds a little stupid but when sticking, I take a deep breath and have learned how to hold it in and release it slowly, the odd time I need another, I just get another one in and do the same again but I never let the fumes get near my helmet and for sure never inside it.

Quote Originally Posted by elvis View Post
    Where are you at? We should get together and drink some beer and talk about how cool blue stuff is... ha! Flagstaff is essentially where I'm at.

I'm based out of NW AZ but I work all over.

I get a kick out of some people, I was in Wyoming and the guy next to me in the RV park was from Minnesota, he told me "it doesn't get very cold here, this is WAY south of where I live".
    He lernt a harsh lesson, 25 below with a 40 mph breeze will freeze up a "weekend camping trip" type RV in about 2 1/2 minutes. But it was the guys first job on the road so he was pretty shallow into the learning curve.

I've worked in El Paso Tx in single digits, and cars were sliding off wholesale on the ice. That's pretty far south too : )

Some folks are happily unaware of conditions beyond their backyard, outside of what they see in the movies ; )

J
    Some days you eat the bear. And some days the bear eats you.

I've seen those temps in montana in november. It isn't to hard to deal with, but you have to have the right attitude! That being said, I've been down at the beach for the last few days. Talk about warm! pretty odd to not worry about jackets in december!
    MillerMatic 251
    Maxstar 150 STH
    Cutmaster 42
    Victor Journeyman OA

A rockcrawler, er money pit, in progress...

Can't have to much ventilation,,,ask my 65 yr old lungs with 48 yrs of welding or grinding with them,,, take care of those lungs young man, only two per customer.
    pull-do

Quote Originally Posted by pull-do View Post
    Can't have to much ventilation,,,ask my 65 yr old lungs with 48 yrs of welding or grinding with them,,, take care of those lungs young man, only two per customer.
    Copy that. At least you seem to still have a sense of humor... lungs, ears, heart, eyes... these things are handy to have around!
    MillerMatic 251
    Maxstar 150 STH
    Cutmaster 42
    Victor Journeyman OA

A rockcrawler, er money pit, in progress...

In a small enclosed shops, there are some possibilities of ventilation. One of them is to open a window in roof with proper shade and shelter on it. The next ption is backdoor window uptp roof.

I just picked up one of these.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/280888077583...84.m1423.l2649

well, thats a long link. Anyway search duct fan in ebay. you can look at the cfm I think my 6" fan was 500 cfm but I reduced down to fit some 4" aluminum flexible vent pipe with a sheet metal reducer from home depot.

It comes in lengths (vent pipe) up to 25'. Set the fan in a small window and run the flexible vent pipe across the ceiling then dropped down to the welding table. There I used another 4 to 6 reducer and mounted it to one of those adjustable magnifier light stands.

Then took a heavy duty lifting magnet from harbor freight so I can stick the stand on the back wall of the table.

I have some adjustability and the draw works well if you keep it over the work.

There are all kinds of warnings with he fan, not to use for this and that but it helps me a lot. They are being sold as grow fans for green house applications.

I also got the speed controller. It cuts down the power to about half on its lowest setting. I was worried about the heat lost in the shop also. But I run it wide open.

The reviews claim the fans run for years.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by MMW View Post
    You can also look into a good respirator to use. 3M makes some good ones.
    My neighbor works for the division that makes these.
    I keep volunteering to test one for him. One of these would have been nice back when I was welding a lot of galvanized. Luckily it was outside in windy country.