Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Welding ventilation

I have been burning a bunch of 7018 and a little 6011 trying to practice. I have had lots of ventilation for the fumes. The thing is that the weather is starting to cool off and I wanted to know how much ventilation that I need to have. I'd like to go inside and close the shop door a bit to stay a little warmer. I will say that the cold encourages me to weld almost constantly! My little inverter welder doesn't mind because I stay at the 100% duty cycle amperage or below.

Depends on the size of the shop and how airtight it is, but if you can smell it, it's WAAAAAAY too much. Put a fart fan in the side of the shop near your work area, and create a closeable (or self-closing) fresh-air inlet near a heater so the incoming air won't be freezing.

How cold can it really be in arizona?I,m outside working overnight on the mass/nh border on the hiway for comparision.
    BB402D
    TB300D
    DIMENSION652
    MM250X
    MAXSTAR140
    S-32 FEEDER W/1260 IRONMATE FC/GUN
    HT/PWR-MAX1250 PLASMA

Install a exhaust fan in the wall or a box fan by a window. Position a fan to suck fumes and smoke away from you. COLD ? What's your temperature out there ?

Quote Originally Posted by BD1 View Post
    Install a exhaust fan in the wall or a box fan by a window. Position a fan to suck fumes and smoke away from you. COLD ? What's your temperature out there ?
    Exactly what i was wondering being that far south what do you call cold? 50 deg.F.
    BB402D
    TB300D
    DIMENSION652
    MM250X
    MAXSTAR140
    S-32 FEEDER W/1260 IRONMATE FC/GUN
    HT/PWR-MAX1250 PLASMA

It starts getting chill at 20. Cold is really below 0 but we don't get that cold too often. I am at 7k feet elevation here... not all of Arizona is a desert!
    MillerMatic 251
    CST 280 w/tig torch
    HF-251-D1
    Cutmaster 42
    Victor Journeyman OA

A rockcrawler, er money pit, in progress...

I'm sure it is quite a bit colder up there in the ne area. Usually we have hit some sub-zero temps by now, but it has been a weird start to the supposedly snowy season... maybe in a few days... when the sun is up it is definitely T-shirt weather!

Thanks for the help. Idont need cancer earlier than I'm going to get it anyways.
    MillerMatic 251
    CST 280 w/tig torch
    HF-251-D1
    Cutmaster 42
    Victor Journeyman OA

A rockcrawler, er money pit, in progress...

I have never done welding personally. In fact i came to the forum to learn welding and find out a good welder. You can contact a welder or a welding shop to get details on ventilation.

You can also look into a good respirator to use. 3M makes some good ones.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

Quote Originally Posted by admweld View Post
    How cold can it really be in arizona?I,m outside working overnight on the mass/nh border on the hiway for comparision.

The lows this week in Flagstaff are running between 3 and 8 degrees above. You have to call ahead to RV parks so they can plow a space for you.
    Flag averages just over a hundred inches of snow per year, much more at higher elevations. There's a ski resort just outside of town and another ski run about 30 miles away in Williams. I've worked many, many times in sub zero weather across No AZ. Like he said, AZ has a wide variety of terrain.

J
    Some days you eat the bear. And some days the bear eats you.