Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Welding ventilation

I have been burning a bunch of 7018 and a little 6011 trying to practice. I have had lots of ventilation for the fumes. The thing is that the weather is starting to cool off and I wanted to know how much ventilation that I need to have. I'd like to go inside and close the shop door a bit to stay a little warmer. I will say that the cold encourages me to weld almost constantly! My little inverter welder doesn't mind because I stay at the 100% duty cycle amperage or below.

Depends on the size of the shop and how airtight it is, but if you can smell it, it's WAAAAAAY too much. Put a fart fan in the side of the shop near your work area, and create a closeable (or self-closing) fresh-air inlet near a heater so the incoming air won't be freezing.

How cold can it really be in arizona?I,m outside working overnight on the mass/nh border on the hiway for comparision.
    BB402D
    TB300D
    DIMENSION652
    MM250X
    MAXSTAR140
    S-32 FEEDER W/1260 IRONMATE FC/GUN
    HT/PWR-MAX1250 PLASMA

Install a exhaust fan in the wall or a box fan by a window. Position a fan to suck fumes and smoke away from you. COLD ? What's your temperature out there ?

Quote Originally Posted by BD1 View Post
    Install a exhaust fan in the wall or a box fan by a window. Position a fan to suck fumes and smoke away from you. COLD ? What's your temperature out there ?
    Exactly what i was wondering being that far south what do you call cold? 50 deg.F.
    BB402D
    TB300D
    DIMENSION652
    MM250X
    MAXSTAR140
    S-32 FEEDER W/1260 IRONMATE FC/GUN
    HT/PWR-MAX1250 PLASMA

Quote Originally Posted by admweld View Post
    How cold can it really be in arizona?I,m outside working overnight on the mass/nh border on the hiway for comparision.

The lows this week in Flagstaff are running between 3 and 8 degrees above. You have to call ahead to RV parks so they can plow a space for you.
    Flag averages just over a hundred inches of snow per year, much more at higher elevations. There's a ski resort just outside of town and another ski run about 30 miles away in Williams. I've worked many, many times in sub zero weather across No AZ. Like he said, AZ has a wide variety of terrain.

J
    Some days you eat the bear. And some days the bear eats you.

Quote Originally Posted by JTMcC View Post
    The lows this week in Flagstaff are running between 3 and 8 degrees above. You have to call ahead to RV parks so they can plow a space for you.
    Flag averages just over a hundred inches of snow per year, much more at higher elevations. There's a ski resort just outside of town and another ski run about 30 miles away in Williams. I've worked many, many times in sub zero weather across No AZ. Like he said, AZ has a wide variety of terrain.

J
    Where are you at? We should get together and drink some beer and talk about how cool blue stuff is... ha! Flagstaff is essentially where I'm at.

I know this sounds a little stupid but when sticking, I take a deep breath and have learned how to hold it in and release it slowly, the odd time I need another, I just get another one in and do the same again but I never let the fumes get near my helmet and for sure never inside it.

Quote Originally Posted by elvis View Post
    Where are you at? We should get together and drink some beer and talk about how cool blue stuff is... ha! Flagstaff is essentially where I'm at.

I'm based out of NW AZ but I work all over.

I get a kick out of some people, I was in Wyoming and the guy next to me in the RV park was from Minnesota, he told me "it doesn't get very cold here, this is WAY south of where I live".
    He lernt a harsh lesson, 25 below with a 40 mph breeze will freeze up a "weekend camping trip" type RV in about 2 1/2 minutes. But it was the guys first job on the road so he was pretty shallow into the learning curve.

I've worked in El Paso Tx in single digits, and cars were sliding off wholesale on the ice. That's pretty far south too : )

Some folks are happily unaware of conditions beyond their backyard, outside of what they see in the movies ; )

J
    Some days you eat the bear. And some days the bear eats you.

Can't have to much ventilation,,,ask my 65 yr old lungs with 48 yrs of welding or grinding with them,,, take care of those lungs young man, only two per customer.
    pull-do