Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default propane bottle wood burner?

I've heard of people making wood burners out of old propane bottles (small size) anyone made one got any pics etc... Or tips for making one?
    Thanks
    Cori
    If you ain't burnin' you ain't learnin'

take a look at posts # 53 54 of this thread, may be not what you're looking for but anyhow some interesting pics.
    http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php?t=60565&page=3

be carefull neutralizing these bottles properly...

good luck

Default propane bottle wood burner?

Now worth the risk!!!
    Just get piece of pipe that size & weld cap or plate on end. No risk.

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by snowbird View Post
    take a look at posts # 53 54 of this thread, may be not what you're looking for but anyhow some interesting pics.
    http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php?t=60565&page=3

be carefull neutralizing these bottles properly...
    Thanks for posting that link. Very interesting. If you look closely, that is made from an air tank so would be safer to cut into.....

cori_southwales

Here is a mailbox I made for an artist friend who wanted a unique mailbox as an easy way to find her studio and gallery.

Used a 20 lb propane tank as the body.

Have made about 8 to 10 of these "propane piggies" for friends as yard art.

My safery preparation procedure:

1 - Start with "empty" tanks.

2 - Use a special wrench I made to fit the valve. (looks sort of like a crows foot wrench)

3 - Use air powered impact wrench with 12" extension on the wrench.

4 - Submerge propane tank in 55 gallon drum full of water before removing valve.
    ( In case of sparks)

5 - With valve removed - fill tank with water, 4 table spoons of powdered dishwasher detergent and a squirt of liquid dishwashing detergent. Let it sit for 1-2 days, drain and repeat. This gets out the mercaptan additive (rotten egg) smell.

6 - After I have a " cleaned" tank, I still never cut or weld on it unless it is vented or has a big hole in it.
    Don't want to end up on "America's #1 Idiot show"

Now I can cut off the handle and base ring and build the piggies.

Have fun but please be safe.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Thermal Arc GTSW400, Airco Heliwelder II, Miller Dynasty 350, Hypertherm 1000, oxy-fuel setup, metal cutting bandsaw, air compressor, drill press, etc.:

Call me the "Clouseau" of welding !