Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Will A MM211 Work For Me? Limited Power Source

Hello. I'm new to the forum and I've been doing some googling but almost everyone that seems to have the MM211 runs it off 220v power. Here are my questions.

I have a stand alone garage that has a 110v outlet in it with a 20a CB. I'd like to get a MM211 as I have run across a great deal on one. My question is what kind of ability will I have with it on 100V? I called AirGas but the guy just kinda read the manual to me and didn't have any personal insight. I'd be welding 1/4'' steel and doing some aluminum with it also (not any thicker than the steel). I'm wondering if this machine running off 110v with a 20a CB will weld that material? And if so, will it do a good job?

While I'm on the subject, I'm looking at the Spectrum 375 Extreme and will be running it off the same power source. Will I be able to cut 1/4'' steel with it?

I'm hoping someone who actually has done this or does do it or has tried it will have some advice. If anyone knows I would appreciate the input. Thanks in advance.

Hi, Flylow.
    You are in luck. I happen to have both the MM211 and the 375 Plasma Cutter (not the Extreme).

You will be able to produce good welds using 110v up to 1/8" steel. Maybe if your skill level is high enough, you might weld 3/16", but you will not get high quality welds on 1/4" steel and certainly not 1/4" aluminum using 110v. You can run multiple passes on 1/4" and stick steel together, but I would not trust it for anything structural or anything that might cause an injury like a trailer.

Once you install a 220v outlet you can safely weld 1/4" steel and 1/4" aluminum. I know the literature claims 3/8" on both, but that is normally under ideal conditions and a highly skilled welder, which I am not.

The 375 plasma will sever 1/4" on 110v, but not easily. If you have sufficient, quality air pressure you will improve the cut. Again, with 220v you will be well equipped to cut up to 3/8".

But the good news is both of these machines are ideal for you in that you can start, learn, and do a lot with 110v but they will grow with you to 220v. Too many guys on here have started with 110v, and quickly regret not investing a little more money to get 220v. The saying is "you cannot use amps you do not buy".

Good luck, keep asking question, and post some pictures once you make the plunge.
    Burt
    Miller Thunderbolt XL
    http://www.10FtDrillBit.com

Thanks for the quick reply Burt. I like these machines because I rent the house I live in and move about every 6 months for my job. I have a very good source for 220V in the summer but right now I only have the 110V. I'd like to build a bumper for my truck and a sled deck for the rear http://toyupindustries.com/ along with other small projects.

So my next question, if I have a 220V dryer with a 30 amp CB what kind of welding can I do? I think you can see I'm really trying to make this work. I would need about a 75' extension cord and the dryer plug is a 3 prong with one of the prongs being a backwards L. I thought I ran across someone saying the 211 does well with a 30 amp CB but I don't know where I remember reading that. Thanks again for the input. This is really helping me out.

Hey Flylow,

You might want to check these links:
    110V MIG http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php?t=20883

How to make 220v extension cord http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php?t=11537

You should be able to use your dryer outlet with an extension cord to get the maximum performance out of either of these machines. Then as you move, you will likely still have a dryer outlet to use. You know there are 3 plug and 4 plug dryer outlets, so you might have to change the plug on your extension cord next time, but it will still work. I think you will be fine with a 30a cb as welding circuits are allowed to be derated based on their intermident use. Ask an electrician for the specifics if you need to know.
    Burt
    Miller Thunderbolt XL
    http://www.10FtDrillBit.com

It will run just fine on a 30amp CB
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

Thanks for all the great info! I think I'll be picking these two items up tomorrow.

Your original post stated that you have a 110 outlet on a 20 amp breaker. If that is all the power available in the garage you will not be able to run the plasma & an electric air compressor at the same time. Just something to think about.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

That's very true. I think running everything off the 220V dryer plug will solve the air compressor issue. It will just be a lot of unplugging and plugging. If it will make everything work though I'm happy to do it.

That brings up another point. Will I have any issues running the plasma cutter off the 30A CB dryer plug?

If you have an air compressor now see how many amps it draws on start up. They usually require a lot to start. The 375 extreme will run fine on a 30 amp 220 line.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

I would suggest that you get some air pigs and connect them in line with your air compressor, if it is a small one. This will help you run more cuts before you stop cutting and turn the compressor back on. I call it a poor mans set-up but it works fine just a little hassle and down time.