Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Next machine?

Hybrid View

Default Next machine?

I am going to look at some used welders this weekend. On the table so far is a MM 251 and a Lincoln 160t. Both are complete and have seen little use, from the looks in the pictures. I currently have a smaller plasma and a cst280 stick machine. I have a 17 series tig torch for the cst but since it doesn't have a solenoid I think I would rather have a dedicated tig machine that has HF start capability. The lincoln has a foot pedal as well. I am leaning toward the 251 because MIG is pretty clean and fast welding. That machine has a great duty cycle and is pretty versatile for what I do. Most of my stuff is offroad fab or equipment repair. A mig/stick setup would work pretty good for that.

I'm asking you guys because I can't fully decide what to get. What would be a logical step in building my list of equipment up? I am picking up side jobs as I go so that is a factor as my next machine is for more than just personal/hobby use.

A mig is the real workhorse in small general fab shops. I am about as general as it gets, its a rare day I really need a tig. It might be nice to have but the 251 will be the go to get it done if possible machine.

The 251 produces a very soft short circuit transfer arc. Some people like the arc and others don't.

The voltage and wire speed dials are very touchy, so they're a touch difficult to get an exact setting dialed in on.

I use to own a 251 it was a very good unit. Even though it was a real good unit, I decided to sell it, because that real soft arc was so different then the arc on all the other units that I was running. This made it difficult to jump from the MM 251 to the MM 210.

Yep been leaning to the mig. $1200 seems like a good price for that machine. I think they went for mid-2000's when they were selling new? How do they compare to the 250's and 252's? Do they all share the same arc characteristics? I've used the older 130xp's and the mm175 machines. I really like the 175. I just wish it had more power. There is a mm180 that is for sale for $600 that i might go look at. I just don't know if it puts out enough heat. I hate it when I'm tapped out and wanting just a little more...

Quote Originally Posted by elvis View Post
    Yep been leaning to the mig. $1200 seems like a good price for that machine. I think they went for mid-2000's when they were selling new? How do they compare to the 250's and 252's? Do they all share the same arc characteristics? I've used the older 130xp's and the mm175 machines. I really like the 175. I just wish it had more power. There is a mm180 that is for sale for $600 that i might go look at. I just don't know if it puts out enough heat. I hate it when I'm tapped out and wanting just a little more...
    The MM251 would be a much better choice than the MM180. You can turn down the amps on a big machine, but you can't turn them up on a small one.

Well I got the 251 today. Need to swing the lws and pickup a fresh bottle in the am. Came with about 40 035 contact tips and at least 20 lbs of er70 on the spool. Should Abe a good machine. I ran a couple beads with it before I left with it. I like!
    MillerMatic 251
    CST 280 w/tig torch
    HF-251-D1
    Cutmaster 42
    Victor Journeyman OA

A rockcrawler, er money pit, in progress...