Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3 to 4 prong

Hybrid View

Default 3 to 4 prong

I know this has been covered but id rather be safe than sorry. Il be running a mm200 off of a dryer plug, 4 prong with 2 straight side posts one l shaped and a circle, to the welder plug. Ive seen everything from having to spending 80 for the wire to taking a dryer plug cable and capping the neutral wire and hooking rest to a welder receptacle.. ive also considered changing the plug on my machine to a 4 prong. Which is better? Any advice? Also i know doing this isnt ideal but I live in a rental house and cant wire in a dedicated 220v 50a breaker

Check the wire gauge running to that dryer plug. If it will support the amp load for your welder, go down to the big box store and but a couple of feet of SO cord, four prong plug to match the dryer receptacle and a receptacle to match your welder plug and wire up a pigtail converter. Fairly cheap conversion and you'll be able to leave both the welder and the dryer receptacle as is. If you need extra cord length to make the run to the welder, add that in.
    Miller 251...sold the spoolgun to DiverBill.
    Miller DialArc 250
    Lincoln PrecisionTig 275
    Hypertherm 900 plasma cutter
    Bridgeport "J" head mill...tooled up
    Jet 14 X 40 lathe...ditto
    South Bend 9" lathe...yeah, got the change gears too
    Logan 7" shaper
    Ellis 3000 band saw
    Hossfeld bender w/shopbuilt hyd.
    Victor Journeyman torch and gauges
    3 Gerstner boxes of mostly Starrett tools
    Lots of dust bunnies
    Too small of a shop at 40 X 59.

Dryer service is usually 30A, this is an old MM200? I am not sure it wont have trip problems on a 30. A range circuit will work.

Il probably get some so chord, thanks. Also it is from 89 iirc. I know i wont be able to run it full power but at home most il be welding is 3/16.

Have you gotten it home yet?

Cope im bringing it home as we speak. I have the stuff for th plug, i wasnt able to make it to a lws to get the c25 and home depot was out out of the superarc in. 035. So tonight after fixing my jeep im guna take it apart and clean contacts etc

Glad to hear it. It's not pretty, but it will do a good job for you.

Quote Originally Posted by ZJones1994 View Post
    home depot was out out of the superarc in. 035.
    I don't know about your area, but I was just at my Lowe's dropping my grandson off to sell popcorn for his Boy Scout troop, and saw that wire in stock.

There isn't a lowes for about 35 mins from me, hd is going to get the wire from another store for me. Then i have my regulator/gas hose on order should ship monday and finally the tank which i gotta find a way to get from where i live to the lws which is 1 hr away with traffic and closes an hour after i get out of school..

Quote Originally Posted by ZJones1994 View Post
    the tank which i gotta find a way to get from where i live to the lws which is 1 hr away with traffic and closes an hour after i get out of school..
    Don't they deliver? The guys around here have routes that they service on a regular basis. I don't see them cause I'm way out in the sticks but if I need to change out tanks I call and the next time they are in the area they drop it off.
    Good luck with the welder.
    Meltedmetal

PS-Beware the transport regulations. Around they shippers won't let you load if it is not in compliance because they get fined too if you get caught. This may or may not apply where you are.
    Last edited by Meltedmetal; 12-09-2012 at 08:06 AM. Reason: additional +