Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Questions for a Welder

Hi my name is tristan Ingraham i am 16 years old and i am looking to take a trade at NSCC marconi campus in the year 2014 or 2015 and im with the 02 program which is for teenagers and it shows them how work is and helps make goals towards there future goals. These are a few questions i was hoping to get answered if anyone on the forum could answer these questions i would greatly appreciate it Thank you all Very much for your time.

1: Was welding a job you’ve wanted from the start, and if not, what was your dream job?

2:What influenced you to become a welder?

3: How long have you been a welder?

4: How long did it take you to get classified as a class A welder?

5: Where do you currently work?

6: What would your dream work location be? Why?

7: how many different places have you worked as a welder?

8: What is your favorite Part of welding or the part that you enjoy the most?

9: What are some Types of things you need to learn while taking your trade in welding?

10: Are there any tips or words of advice you could give me before I take my trade in welding, or some things I should expect or know?

11: What has been your experience with the following?

Are you unionized?

Are you covered for workers compensation?

Are accidents a major concern with welding (what was the worst that you have experienced or seen?).

I will help with this survey!

1) No, I always wanted to be a **** star but never could land that lucky break needed to get into the industry.

Skip to 6) A bedroom located in every country around the world. Why? See the answer to question 1).

Thank you for taking part.

1. Had no clue what I wanted to do.
    2. Starving student, needed money.
    3. 40 years.
    4. 5 years
    5. Los Angeles, CA.
    6. Southwest Oregan. Ocean, mountains, low tax, affordable housing, close enough to California to visit.
    7. Five
    8. Getting paid.
    9. Mathamatics, drafting, metallurgy, machining.
    10. Learn self discipline, work ethic, dedication to the craft, humility.

Are you unionized? No

Are you covered for workers compensation? Yes

Are accidents a major concern with welding (what was the worst that you have experienced or seen?). Electrocution.
    Nothing welded, Nothing gained

Miller Dynasty700DX
    3 ea. Miller Dynasty350DX
    Miller Dynasty200DX
    ThermalArc 400 GTSW
    MillerMatic350P
    MillerMatic200 with spoolgun
    MKCobraMig260
    Lincoln SP-170T
    Linde UCC305 (sold 2011)
    Hypertherm 1250
    Hypertherm 800
    PlasmaCam CNC cutter
    Fadal Toolroom CNC Mill
    SiberHegner CNC Mill
    2 ea. Bridgeport
    LeBlond 15" Lathe
    Haberle 18" Cold Saw
    Doringer 14" Cold Saw
    6 foot x 12 foot Mojave granite

yet again thank you very much for your time

Quote Originally Posted by tristan1241 View Post
    Hi my name is tristan Ingraham i am 16 years old and i am looking to take a trade at NSCC marconi campus in the year 2014 or 2015 and im with the 02 program which is for teenagers and it shows them how work is and helps make goals towards there future goals. These are a few questions i was hoping to get answered if anyone on the forum could answer these questions i would greatly appreciate it Thank you all Very much for your time.

1: Was welding a job you’ve wanted from the start, and if not, what was your dream job?

No, I had thought about becoming a civil engineer or an architect.

2:What influenced you to become a welder?

That's where the money was at the time I began working in the natural gas industry.

3: How long have you been a welder?

21 years.

4: How long did it take you to get classified as a class A welder?

The company certified me in API 1104 in a 6 week course.

5: Where do you currently work?

Southern Arizona

6: What would your dream work location be? Why?

Any place the temperature doesn't get hotter than 85 or colder than 65 degrees F. and the humidity didn't get over 20%. That would keep the sweat off my brow and my safety glasses and hood from fogging up!

7: how many different places have you worked as a welder?

Hmmmm, I've welded in lots of places. Most are usually 21' of 40' apart!
    Seriously though...one employer in two different cities.

8: What is your favorite Part of welding or the part that you enjoy the most?

Fabricating stuff others can't, you end up with something to be proud of.

9: What are some Types of things you need to learn while taking your trade in welding?

Good planning, math, blueprint reading, safety.
    My biggest regret was not learning Trigonometry, I never saw a practical application for in while in H.S.

10: Are there any tips or words of advice you could give me before I take my trade in welding, or some things I should expect or know?

Plan on getting burned....you have to learn how to work through the pain of hot sparks landing in uncomfortable places.

Are you unionized?
    No
    Are you covered for workers compensation?
    Yes

Are accidents a major concern with welding (what was the worst that you have experienced or seen?).
    Safety is always a concern, the worst I've seen is another welder getting his face badly burned by an unplanned release of natural gas.
    Last edited by nocheepgas; 12-07-2012 at 05:41 PM.
    Miller Syncrowave 200
    Homemade Water Cooler
    130XP MIG
    Spectrum 375
    60 year old Logan Lathe
    Select Machine and Tool Mill
    More stuff than I can keep track of..

1. Had no idea what I wanted to do. Just knew I wanted a trade. Joined the Military as a Plumber/Pipefitter.

2. Went to the Navy welding school as part of my pipefitter training, loved it!

3. 23 Years and counting.

4. 40 hours a week for 8 weeks. Stick, oxy/fuel, brazing, plasma, TIG then MIG in that order.

5. Virginia

6. Right where I'm at. To many friends and family to leave now.

7. Bounced around a lot at first. Then found a job I like, been here 13 years. Next move will be working for myself, soon.

8. Fixing broken stuff, building things and the look on a happy customers face.

9. Math and people skills. Still working on the people skills!

10. This line of work is not for everyone. The working conditions can be hard on your body. The most important thing is to listen to your instructor and any old timer you work around. Don't be a know-it-all. Most people don't like that. Give it a shot what do you have to loose?

Not a union here.

Have workmans comp.

Safety is a big concern. I have had cut fingers burn spots on my hands and arms for as long as I can remember. Started a few fires, too. Nothing out of control.