Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Default a cert from a school is a license to learn

I agree with this...I'm n a welding school n Mississippi and I graduate in may.I can see now that it's so much to learn about welding that you can't really learn in a school based shop.It would take years to learn almost everything.Its to much to learn just enough.I will try my best on my first job to learn everything I can so I become a better welder day by day .

I'm also in school for welding right now and i have encountered many problems that can lead to the type of stuff you're talking about. Kids come into these programs because they think welding is easy money and they won't have to work hard or anything. Just so you guys know there are some kids out there reading books and doing thier best to learn the trade and be successful, they are sometimes few and far between but they are there.

For the young guys and gals in welding or any other trade school i applaud you. Welding school is like any other school, be there because you want to be there and learn everything possible. When its time to go out into the workplace keep learning. Learn for your entire career. When people ask me if welding is a good job i respond by saying "welding is a very difficult profession, mentally and physically but its a fantastic living if you stick with it".

What I see in my area is employer's not giving employee's a reason to work hard.

example:

An older hard working talented employee gets fired because he can be replaced with two young bloods for less money. Why work hard when you get fired for it...

Or:

An employee starts out at $8/hr to learn a valuable trade and gets promised a "livable" wage. Said employee learns all he can, gets a few years of experience, get's really good at what he's doing etc. and gets a $2/hr raise... While the guy next to him, who does/knows the bare minimum gets the same pay rate... $10/hr is not "livable" around here, and why work harder then the next person for the same wage?

Even better, an employer says no christmas bonus, we cant afford it this year, then continues to complain about not being able to decide where he's buying his 3rd vacation house...

I'm not saying that the O.P. is like that, just seems like what I've dealt with alot around here.. You wont make everybody happy, but if you do what you can to promote a good workplace, it will go a long way in peoples work ethics.

I currently work for a small town garage, and while non of us are getting rich, they do what they can to treat me as if it was my company as much as there's and I work as hard as I know how for them, works for now, but I hope to be able to provide for my family better some day, and maybe all three of us can if the economy turns around.

Quote Originally Posted by rednecklimo85 View Post
    I currently work for a small town garage, and while non of us are getting rich, they do what they can to treat me as if it was my company as much as there's and I work as hard as I know how for them, works for now, but I hope to be able to provide for my family better some day, and maybe all three of us can if the economy turns around.

It sounds like a good deal for now.

The compensation in welding world varies greatly because the pool of welders able to do the work varies greatly.

Nobody is going to make large money mig welding trailers together in a factory because the labor pool is saturated with qualified candidates.
    It's simple economics, the fewer people able to do the work, the more the worker is worth.

The key to increased welding income is to work in a field or sub field where the number of humans able or willing to do that particular work is small. And that usually takes an out of the ordinary level of commitment/dedication/practice. Otherwise, everbody'd be doin it for big $.

Good luck to you.

Deck-A-Halls'
    John
    Some days you eat the bear. And some days the bear eats you.

Last job i hired on i told them give me two weeks at minimum wage. A few days later i picked up a hood and stinger and looked at them as tho they came from space. Others guys told me to try it and i did and they found i could weld better than they could. I told the foreman i was scared of heights and proceeded to walk out a bar joist. Needless to say im still with the outfit pay is 2 above govt scale out here and i now have nccco crane certs. Ive moved up senior man and am the last one out of work. This outfit only used 3/32 lo/hy for all the welding including moment connections but after washing some guys out we now have 3 suitcase welders and we have moved up to 1/8-5/32 rod. Im the only one burning the bigger stuff but im teaching kids under me to use it. Im an old man in this game now so in next 10-15 ill have to pass the torch

Fushion King, I have to agree with you, Its hard to pay the talented guys big money when work gets slow.

Hay fellas i gotta get in on this one, Im a 20 year old provisional journeyman with UA 72 (pipefitter union) out of atlanta. Provisional journeyman meaning i have welding cert and are qualified to do journeyman work, but because i haven't completed my school through the union i only get 80% of journey wages with is amazing for a small town boy from south GA. All that being said I graduated high school and tech school in 2010 and out of everyone in my class me and one other guy where the only people to go anywhere in the industry and make any kind of money. We made 15$ when we first come into the union and worked as helpers at plant jack, after that I spent 8 months living on roman noodle and hot dogs trying to get some of the hardest certs in the world from the UA. I say all that because Ive seen alot more guys come and go then to come and stay, and more so then that the guys that dont have family in the hall dont seem to stay at all. Its pretty sad to me, we have such a great opportunity in the union and guys just want to sit around and play xbox. Ive worked my ass off to get here and set up a good life, It just seems that guys my age dont get it. I never starved when i was a kid but if i wanted something i worked for it seems like something these boys my age dont know about.

Yea my son/partner ate nothing but those noodles for 2 weeks paying his way thru welding school. Too proud to let me until sometime later.

Anyone who wants it that bad should do ok
    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller Spoolmate 200
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt
    SPEEDGLAS 9100XX

we had a few jobs to uild hydrotstatic well texting units. couldn't find any good help so i got a cuban guy and my son to come in with me. not one of them could weld or fit but after a few weeks they are turning into some great workers. the way i taught them was to let them fit and weld the doors to the unit i let them use the 140 mig and it seemed to do the trick .as for as the fitting goes i had them make all the battery boxs .sure the boxs wasn't a huge projecy but it taught them to make sure things was square now after 2 months i now fave a fairly good welder and a fairly good fitter. if guys like use who own companies don't take the time to teach the younger ones comeing in then how will they get on the job experiense.welding in a booth ina votec school is nuthing compaired to welding in the real world. i know all of use wasn't born with a lead or torch in our hands and we had to learn from someone at one point in timejust take time to teach them instead of sending them down the road you never know they just might end up being yur best employees.