Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Threaded View

Default Exhaust Manifold Repaired

After days of study and reading forums, I took a stab at welding a cast iron exhaust manifold. I think it came out pretty nice so I just wanted to share.

It was a modification, not a repair. I had to cut the flange off and rotate it to make more room under the hood. Here's the procedure I used:

Cut flange and thoroughly cleaned and beveled the area to be welded.
    Placed manifold in the oven to preheat. Got it to 380 degrees.
    Tig welded on AC with 3/32 thoriated tungsten at 175 amps.
    Used Ni-99 filler.
    Completed root pass and placed back in the oven for 30 minutes so it wouldn't cool too fast.
    Completed another pass and placed in oven to cool for 4 hours. Oven off.
    Done.

I hope it holds.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Trailblazer® 302 Air Pak™
    Miller Dynasty® 350
    Millermatic 350P Aluminum
    Millermatic® 252
    Syncrowave 351

SuitCase® X-TREME™ 12VS

Multimatic™ 200
    Millermatic® 211 Auto-Set™ w/MVP™
    XR-Aluma Pro Gun
    Diversion™ 180

Spectrum® 625 X-TREME™

Thermal Dynamics® Cutmaster® 52
    Victor Oxy/Acetylene Set

Posting Permissions

• You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Warning: Non-static method PhpQuickProfiler::getMicroTime() should not be called statically in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/pqp/classes/Console.php on line 77

Warning: Non-static method PhpQuickProfiler::getMicroTime() should not be called statically in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/pqp/classes/Console.php on line 77

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/footer.inc.php on line 74

Welding Projects

Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.