Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Based on my experience with a small Brit coupe racer I'd advise building a Halo style cage. The top hoop can be prefabbed and lifted into place while most of the vertical bars can be welded from below. I only learnt that from looking back at my cage and how it could be improved.....
    Miller Diversion 165
    1966 Bridgeport Mill
    Leblond 15x 35 Regal Servoshift lathe
    Solberga SE 1425 Drill Press
    Bigass Bandsaw
    Hydraulic press
    small surface grinder
    Belt sander
    Tons of grinders and hand tools
    Knife edge Balancing rollers
    Heat and AC in the garage

Jags and racing Triumphs

Speaking of Camaro cages, friend of mine's brother in law runs a Camaro at the Texas Mile. He recently upgraded his cage and he's glad he did.
    Before
    Texas Mile - Before.jpg

After
    Texas Mile - After.jpg

Texas Mile - After.jpg

That is what happens when you flip at 240.
    Last edited by dallas_; 04-03-2013 at 07:33 AM.

What caused the flip?
    Dynasty 300DX
    MM350P
    Hobart Handler 120
    Smith LW7, MW1, AW1
    Smith AR/He Mixer

This car finally showed up last night complete with a whole laundry list of things to do besides the cage. I really don't need any more work at this point but it's here so I'll post some pics when I start.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

Started yesterday. Got the main hoop & rear down bars fitted. Formed & welded the floor plates for them both. Going to tack the bars, remove & weld them, reinstall. Then I will fit the halo bar after bending correctly since one bend is wrong & front down tubes.
    0529031037.jpg0529031733.jpg
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

I can't believe this thing has been in my shop this long. Been working on it in between other stuff & almost finished up the cage today. Waiting for the owner to reinstall the dash & then get the new seat mounted so I can determine the height of the harness bar. Once the harness bar is in I can make the rear seat support & put the braces from the main hoop to the tunnel & it will be done. Hopefully soon so I can get it out of here.

Job was way more of a hassle than I thought. Seems like it took forever but it is coming out nice. I will say I would think twice before doing another one. I bought a RCCS-14 finger control (north/south) for this job but I can't get used to it at all. Even just sitting at the bench it is very hard to ramp up & down. I think I would rather have an on/off switch.

Since it is chrome-moly it all had to be tigged. The worst was the front down bars to the floor. No matter what I did I couldn't get all the way around. Tried all the tricks I know, mirror, tungsten stick out but just couldn't get my hands & helmet in position to see & weld about 3/4" in the back side. So I finally figured out a way to "cheat". I tigged what I could & then was able to mig what I couldn't using a mirror. Then I went back with one hand & washed it in with the tig. Looks good.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

Last edited by MMW; 06-26-2013 at 06:51 AM.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

Quote Originally Posted by MMW View Post
    . The worst was the front down bars to the floor. No matter what I did I couldn't get all the way around.
    I welded the floor plates to the bars on the bench for that location. I figured running the Mig in tight quarters to weld the plate to the floor was much easier that trying to Tig way in there.

I used a helper to run the pedal for me rather than going with a finger control. It took a little bit to get the two of us coordinated but worked out OK in the end. I wouldn't want to do it that way if I needed to make a living welding cages but for my one off in the driveway it was fine.

I thought about welding the floor plates onto the tubes first but by that time it was to late, I had them welded to the floor already. I wish the cage maker (Midwest Chassis) included instructions or helpful hints with the kit. It would have saved me time in figuring it out. I will say any question I e-mailed to him he did answer quickly & the halo bar was bent wrong & he replaced it quickly after I sent him a pic explaining what was wrong. Earlier in this thread I mentioned that the customer service/shipping of this kit was not the best but I do believe that he has taken care of that. I have had nothing but good service in dealing direct with him. The fit was great as no adjustments were needed other than trimming & notching.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24