Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Burn back problems with 350p With push-pull gun, 3/64 alum wire.

Running pulse mig with 3/64 4043 Aluminum wire, on millermatic 350p with push-pull gun to weld a metal thickness of 1/4". Argon is set to just under 40 cfm. Wire feed is 350 or so and i believe its running at just under 23 volts. The push-pull gun selction is on EDGE, for the gun i have. All settings, ARC length and ARC control, are set to factory defaults. As i am new to this and have not had much time to play around with the settings, also not sure which settings to adjust to fix my problem. The problem i am having is constant burn-backs at the start of the weld. Once i get welding i dont think it has maybe happened only once mid-weld. Its just starting out that i have the problems. I have spent much time cleaning the workpiece with a Stainless steel wire brush, which does give me a better weld but does not help at all with the burn-back issue i am having. I was considering playing with the Hot Start setting or the Pre-flow setting, but again i am new and im not sure if this will help. I am going through tips alot faster than id like, 5-9 in an hour workday and i dont spend nearly the whole day welding. I have tried to do some research on the internet without finding much helpful information so if anyone who has experience running this machine/ wiresize combo has any tips it would be greatly appreciated, thank you very much in advance.

Whats your "Run in" set too? Probably too low. Set around 80%

We have a small mig and it kept burning tips . Where the positive and negitive bolted up to the studs one was suppose to come from the top and one from the bottom . The top one was hanging done and the lines were crossing making the tips burn and stick just like a arc welder when your lines are crossed makes welding rods stick probably magnetized it.

Quote Originally Posted by dan the welder man View Post
    Running pulse mig with 3/64 4043 Aluminum wire, on millermatic 350p with push-pull gun to weld a metal thickness of 1/4". Argon is set to just under 40 cfm. Wire feed is 350 or so and i believe its running at just under 23 volts. The push-pull gun selction is on EDGE, for the gun i have. All settings, ARC length and ARC control, are set to factory defaults. As i am new to this and have not had much time to play around with the settings, also not sure which settings to adjust to fix my problem. The problem i am having is constant burn-backs at the start of the weld. Once i get welding i dont think it has maybe happened only once mid-weld. Its just starting out that i have the problems. I have spent much time cleaning the workpiece with a Stainless steel wire brush, which does give me a better weld but does not help at all with the burn-back issue i am having. I was considering playing with the Hot Start setting or the Pre-flow setting, but again i am new and im not sure if this will help. I am going through tips alot faster than id like, 5-9 in an hour workday and i dont spend nearly the whole day welding. I have tried to do some research on the internet without finding much helpful information so if anyone who has experience running this machine/ wiresize combo has any tips it would be greatly appreciated, thank you very much in advance.
    I have a similar problem while, but associated with my crew. On occasion they bury the contact tip into the weld on start. I go through about the same amount per day, which is 400 to 500 arc starts. I have my machinist face the contact tip and punch the wire remnent out and return them for reuse.

I will say it happens much more often with 4043. Although I thought 5356 would be a host of problems, it feeds better, starts better, and have less burnbacks. Perhaps your hot start is too high?
    Nothing welded, Nothing gained

Miller Dynasty700DX
    3 ea. Miller Dynasty350DX
    Miller Dynasty200DX
    ThermalArc 400 GTSW
    MillerMatic350P
    MillerMatic200 with spoolgun
    MKCobraMig260
    Lincoln SP-170T
    Linde UCC305 (sold 2011)
    Hypertherm 1250
    Hypertherm 800
    PlasmaCam CNC cutter
    Fadal Toolroom CNC Mill
    SiberHegner CNC Mill
    2 ea. Bridgeport
    LeBlond 15" Lathe
    Haberle 18" Cold Saw
    Doringer 14" Cold Saw
    6 foot x 12 foot Mojave granite

I mig weld aluminum everyday for the last 3 years. I've used Miller equip almost exclusively. I can tell you right away that 3/64 is too big for use on 1/4" or 6mm aluminum plate. We use .035 for everything up to 5/8 (approx 16mm). really anything under 3/8 needs to be done with .035 wire. Really, 3/64 wire doesn't act right at all below 24 volts. it's just too much electrode.

I have welded a sh*t ton of aluminum structure done with 1/4" (6mm) plate - fillet and open butt in every conceivable position you can think of and I can tell you from experience that 3/64 wire just will not act right. you'll fight it, maybe only a little, but it's challenging to weld 1/4 aluminum with 3/64. Open butt - forget it, stop and go get .035 wire. trying to weld 1/4" open butt with 3/64 wire will make feel like you forgot how to freakin weld. I don't care what you do with the settings - it's too much electrode. 3/64's got too much ass drivin into the arc puddle for aluminum that thin, in addition to it burning back and dribbling wire bb's under 24 volts and slow wire speeds.

Quote Originally Posted by swagdaddy View Post
    I mig weld aluminum everyday for the last 3 years. I've used Miller equip almost exclusively. I can tell you right away that 3/64 is too big for use on 1/4" or 6mm aluminum plate. We use .035 for everything up to 5/8 (approx 16mm). really anything under 3/8 needs to be done with .035 wire. Really, 3/64 wire doesn't act right at all below 24 volts. it's just too much electrode.

I have welded a sh*t ton of aluminum structure done with 1/4" (6mm) plate - fillet and open butt in every conceivable position you can think of and I can tell you from experience that 3/64 wire just will not act right. you'll fight it, maybe only a little, but it's challenging to weld 1/4 aluminum with 3/64. Open butt - forget it, stop and go get .035 wire. trying to weld 1/4" open butt with 3/64 wire will make feel like you forgot how to freakin weld. I don't care what you do with the settings - it's too much electrode. 3/64's got too much ass drivin into the arc puddle for aluminum that thin, in addition to it burning back and dribbling wire bb's under 24 volts and slow wire speeds.
    No thanks. The only way I would even consider .035" diameter is if I did sheet metal, which I got tig for.
    Nothing welded, Nothing gained

Miller Dynasty700DX
    3 ea. Miller Dynasty350DX
    Miller Dynasty200DX
    ThermalArc 400 GTSW
    MillerMatic350P
    MillerMatic200 with spoolgun
    MKCobraMig260
    Lincoln SP-170T
    Linde UCC305 (sold 2011)
    Hypertherm 1250
    Hypertherm 800
    PlasmaCam CNC cutter
    Fadal Toolroom CNC Mill
    SiberHegner CNC Mill
    2 ea. Bridgeport
    LeBlond 15" Lathe
    Haberle 18" Cold Saw
    Doringer 14" Cold Saw
    6 foot x 12 foot Mojave granite

I'm in agreement with Cruizer, Run in speed around 80.

Dynasty 200 DX
    Diversion 180 (FOR SALE)
    Millermatic 350P, XR-Aluma-Pro
    30A Spoolgun
    Lincoln Pro Mig 140
    Hypertherm Powermax 30
    14" Rage Evolution 360
    40 ton press brake
    Shop full of tools

Default thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ja baudin View Post
    I'm in agreement with Cruizer, Run in speed around 80.
    Thanks everyone for your input. I really appreciate it. you have made my work much easier. I set the run in to 75 and have not had half as many burn backs. One more quick question... could any of you explain arc length or sharp arc. Like what it is, what the adjustment does to change your weld and when to adjust it. Thanks again eveyone! Your input is, as always, greatly appreciated!!