Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Mm175

Default Mm175

Looking at a millermatic 175 on the local CL. The seller says that it works great but when the voltage is increased the wire speed increases too. Are these two knobs connected? What about repairs. is it worth risking some money on this machine? Asking price is $500.

Yes the Voltage and Wire speed depend on one another, UP the voltage and wire speed while still adjustable will increase. For $500, its a good deal for sure.

Miller uses wire speed tracking

Wire speed tracking is where the wire speed increases or decreases as VOLTAGE control is increased or decreased in order to help the operator stay within the weld parameters when making voltage changes.
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

Default Called the seller

To get a chance to go check it out. Seems like a good price to me. I use one of these at work pretty regularly. I wish it had more power, but I have a 8vs to get a little more amperage. I have never paid attention to wire speed increases as i change voltage settings. I don't even think about what I'm setting anymore, I just look at what I'm about to weld, set the knobs and go!

Default eh, its OK and definitely not right

So I got to use the welder today. It welded fine on 1/8" material, the bead Wouldn't lay down the way I like. When i cranked the voltage to 11 (ha ha, it was actually on the 10 mark) I couldn't get the wire to go slow enough. Apparently the lws prescribed a new control board of some sort. At some point this dude installed a spool gun switch. Could that have screwed this up? Also, any hazards if I open it up and remove the spool gun switch? Any capacitors that will hold electricity?
    MillerMatic 251
    CST 280 w/tig torch
    HF-251-D1
    Cutmaster 42
    Victor Journeyman OA

A rockcrawler, er money pit, in progress...

And what wire and gas are you trying to weld with

Default stuff

.023 and .035 w/ c25 mix. I know the 23 wire was a little small but both wires didn't react right.
    MillerMatic 251
    CST 280 w/tig torch
    HF-251-D1
    Cutmaster 42
    Victor Journeyman OA

Default Mm175

Weird that you cant get the WIRE speed LOW enough. (I only made those words bold to bring attention to them. Not to question the symptoms.) I tacked a 1/4 20 nut to a piece of 22 ga today with my MM211. .30 wire normally not a problem, but i was running off a super thin extension cord. (50' long) I was WAYYYYY below the recomended wire speed to pull this off because the machine was just not getting any power. I know its not the machine. It runs like a raped ape. Anyway. Any chance the machine was choked out?

Given the sellers comments about the problem i don think so. Goin to swing by airgas and see if they remember what they diagnosed. I need a bottle of argon anyway.
    MillerMatic 251
    CST 280 w/tig torch
    HF-251-D1
    Cutmaster 42
    Victor Journeyman OA