Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Upgrade 302 TB to Electric Fuel Pump

I am helping a friend who bought (stole) a 302 Trailblazer that had been on a service truck that was totaled (the truck) in an accident. The 302 got pretty beat up, but is mostly cosmetic damage. It has been determined that the original vacuum fuel pump is not working, and instead of replacing it with the original style pump, he wants to convert it to an electric fuel pump.

This is a 2005 or 2006 Trailblazer 302 with the Kohler Command 20 engine. Can anyone tell me what electric pump and any other parts will be needed to make the conversion. Also, a detailed description of how to install it would be very helpful..........I honestly don't know what he expects to gain other than being able to say it has an electric fuel pump...........thanks.

Stick with the OEM part, electric would be a load of problems, sorting out the fuel pressure and carb compatibility, that's what my crystal ball tells me .
    But I do not know everything yet .. lol
    Greg

Greg,

Thanks for the response. I basically told him if it were me I would save the money and opt for the original. I did not, and still do not have any idea about the fuel pressure or compatibility issues, and the sad part is that he knows even less than I do.........if that is possible. That is why I asked for a part number list for all the needed parts for the conversion, along with the how to do it procedures.

I am thinking that there must be some sort of block off plates/plugs to seal off where the original pump is located, along with some sort of safety sensor..............not quite sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat View Post
    I am thinking that their must be some sort of block off plates/plugs to seal off where the original pump is located, along with some sort of safety sensor..............not quite sure.

Hey Pat ,

The way I would approach this would be to go to the Kohler site and look around. If I am reading your post correctly you have in mind that this would be a kit type of conversion. I think this modification your friend wants to try will be all custom and fabricated by the person wanting to change the fuel delivery.

I did a seach for Kohler Command 20 fuel pump found this;

http://www.dogpile.com/info.dogpl/se...+fuel+pump&ql=

then this:

http://www.kohlerengines.com/onlinec...O%20CH20/CH640

this link talks about fuel pressure to see what you will be dealing with:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...0200516AAmgu5a

they say "No set flow rate. 3 psi pressure flow compat. to 2 gallon per min.".

This link is all about the fuel system parts:

http://www.outdoordistributors.com/k...r_command.html

That's the best suggestion I could make.
    Greg

Thanks for all the information Greg...........

I just got off the phone with my buddy. I told him I would send him the links you kindly provided, and since this is his obsession, he can do the research and get back with me when he has the parts and information..........thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat View Post
    Thanks for all the information Greg...........

I just got off the phone with my buddy. I told him I would send him the links you kindly provided, and since this is his obsession, he can do the research and get back with me when he has the parts and information..........thanks again.

LOL, that's the right move for this one, let him pull his own hair out ...

You know that saying if you can dream it you can do it. Lots of people can dream it but want others to do it.

Greg

I have a Robin/ Subaru version of the Trailblazer. I added the electric fuel pump (Miller has a kit, it's listed under accessories). It doesn't replace the original vacuum pump, it's essentially a helper pump. It comes in handy if you don't use your machine often, it saves some cranking.
    at home:
    2012 325 Trailblazer EFI with Excel power
    2007 302 Trailblazer with the Robin FOR SALE
    2008 Suitcase 12RC
    Spoolmatic 30A
    WC-24
    2009 Dynasty 200DX
    2000 XMT 304
    2008 Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
    Sold:MM130XP
    Sold:MM 251
    Sold:CST 280

at work:
    Invision 350MP
    Dynasty 350
    Millermatic 350P
    Retired:Shopmaster 300 with a HF-251

I've been using a 2.5PSI Electric pump, and routing the power through the oil pump switch. I plug off the exsisting vac hose as well. No problems for years.