Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Hybrid View

Default Weld craft torch air cooled

The product miller Tig 165

Here is the question what prevents any of the weld craft 17 air cooled series torches from being used on this welder. Isn't the gas connection in the handle the same size?

I ask this because I think I'd like to put a torch on with a flexible cup head. I have figured out that I can rotate the ls-17 cup to change the work angle, but would like a bit more flexibility. I realize a foot control will be necessary with another torch.

For instance could I install a type like this on the 165, if not please educate me as to why.

WeldCraft 366-WP-17F-25-R Wc Wp-17F-25-R Tig Torch

could this be used; Weldcraft 17F Amp Air Cooled Flexible Head

What do these numbers tell me about the torch?

WP-17F-25-R Wc Wp-17F-25-R

Final question, gas lens how do I figure out the size needed for the ls -17 or for that matter any torch?

My understanding at this moment is that cups, collets are a specific size that is determined by the tungsten being used. This I get, I do not want some kit been there done that. Somehow kits always give one a bunch of unusable items. I do not mind buying the individual parts I will need and use.

So far the most confusion about the TIG are all about the torch and consumables and I am working on that.

Thanks in advance for any information I may receive on the torch thing.

best regards,

pepi
    Greg

I got it sorted out and found the gas lens that I needed. It took some looking around and a dash of common sense. Actually am glad there were no responses got smarter and have the correct parts needed. Bought the gas lenses, two sets gas lens, cup and torch gasket (white), 9 bucks ea set.

After fiddling with the OEM torch handle and trying to get the feel needed to control the thing with gloves on. I opted for the modification and ordered the foot switch. Found the handle for 9 bucks, weld craft and went with the after market foot switch.

Miller sends a neat little blue print to build a real nice welding cart, a design I have not seen. They even list the materials and sizes to make it happen. Very nice of them..

Good information in some of these post, by the end of this week I'll have the miller table and fire this tig machine up. Have a miller mig and this tig will finish off my welding capabilites quite well.

Greg

Default question

Quick newbie question what is a gas lens? I have a DC lift tig machine I am going to start learning on as soon as I get a bottle of argon...
    MillerMatic 251
    CST 280 w/tig torch
    HF-251-D1
    Cutmaster 42
    Victor Journeyman OA

A rockcrawler, er money pit, in progress...

Quote Originally Posted by elvis View Post
    Quick newbie question what is a gas lens? I have a DC lift tig machine I am going to start learning on as soon as I get a bottle of argon...
    It is a collet body with a large diameter to give better gas flow. Takes a different nozzle than a standard collet body.

http://www.weldcraft.com/parts-accessories/