Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Need help with welder tip

We are running a XMT 304 CC/CV to weld our wheels. The weld is about 20" long. Recently we have run into a problem with our tips on the one welder getting tight and the wire either gets stuck or slows to a crawl. Our original settings were as follows 27.3V and 600 wire speed, tip was about 3/4" away from the part. That was getting a little hot on the 1/8" material so I changed it to 21.5V, 430 wire speed and tip is about 1/2" away. Originally we thought that dirt was tight in the liner and changed it, matter a fact I even changed the entire cable hose gun assembly. I tried tightening the feed rollers but then the wire gets kinked. Also we are running wire out of a drum and getting below the half way point so I tried putting on a fresh spool of wire but no change. Any ideas would be great.

That is a huge spread of voltage / wire speed. Volts/WS are usually increased / decreased in same %'s but it seems here that they weren't.

What material are you welding?

1/8" low carbon steel

Try goin down to about 19v and 270-290 ipm and go from there....

I'll give it a try. Any ideas as to why the original settings worked for years and work on the other welder (same equipment and material)?

Wut size wire r u using??

.035 wire

Ya try the 19v and 280 wire and go from there....

Okay well so far I tried it at 19v 280 and went up till I got to about 22v 465. At 19 it ran okay but the weld was too narrow for the job. Basically we are covering 40 1/4"pins line up in holes in an 1/8" plate. We set it on a turn table and the arm comes down and welds while the wheel is turning. I tried a different tip and insulated the arm to reduce any current draw. And lowered the gas flow to about 40-45, they had it wide open. I ran about 26 welds without doing anything. Didn't clean the torch or anything. I just moved it out a 1/4" every time i went to weld and the back again. That way I would be putting a strain on the welder. So far so good. I will have to see what happens on Monday when production gets their hands on it.

Fingers crossed

You should be between 20-25 cfh...