Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Basic setup tips MM211

Hi all,

I have a decent idea of what I need to adjust but would like to get your feedback from experience. Spent some time over the holiday playing with my new MM211 and had a little wire jamming here and there. Adjusted the tension roller a bit - and plan on checking it's at the 'starting point of "3"' per the manual later. What do you recommend/find for an .030 wire on 1/8" or 1/4" pieces - run on auto set as well as manual (can't see a diff). I had an odd issue where the gun had come out of the machine a bit - must have not tightened that down enough during initial setup - corrected.

General questions - using a flux core/gasless for right now - will the junk/spatter that builds up in the nozzle and general heat add to some jamming/wire feed stops? The NOZ dip - recommended? After a few jams/corrections I set the machine away more so the cable was straight as possible - not that it was coiled up to begin. Also made sure the spool knob wasn't cranked down to pinch the wire roll and it was free spinning.

Planning on dropping off a 40# tank for C25 fill this week - while at GTS-Welco will pick up some NOZ dip - anything else recommended while I'm at a legitimate supply store?

Thanks alll,

John

Make sure as you said the tension set on the wire spool not too tight. Using the torch while keeping its hose straight as possible should help. Make sure the spool of wire is being fed counter clockwise, with the wire coming off the bottom of the spool and going into the tensioner and rollers. A large amount of slag build up in the nozzle could cause feed problems. Have you changed the polarity on the machine to run that flux core wire?

Plugged mine in out of the box. Changed nothing with feeder. Has run two spools of wire so far. No problems. One box .030 and one box of 0.35. I hear .030 is better in this machine and think that's probably true.

Have only run 240 V so far.

Do you need a nozzle for FCAW? There's no shield gas.

Auto set feature seems to run extremely hot. For thin stuff I manually set. I only use auto for ~3/16 and up.
    ==============
    Miller 211 MVP
    Hobart StickMate LX 235
    Lincoln AC 225
    CutMaster 42

Quote Originally Posted by Cgotto6 View Post
    . A large amount of slag build up in the nozzle could cause feed problems. Have you changed the polarity on the machine to run that flux core wire?
    Thx Cgotto6 - polarity is set correctly, a lot of spatter from the flux - might be a little hot too with autoset - adding to that? first time I ran it was manual - no issues - will try some more - pretty sure I have the tension roller light.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrutraffic View Post
    Have only run 240 V so far.

Do you need a nozzle for FCAW? There's no shield gas.

Auto set feature seems to run extremely hot. For thin stuff I manually set. I only use auto for ~3/16 and up.

Thx Thrutraffic - I have yet to run 240 - maybe I'll do that next just - well b/c I can! Unsure about the need of the nozzle - but perhaps I misspoke - meant the tip within the larger exterior nozzle. I didn't have the issue with it on manual - perhaps onto something there - with the heat....thx for the feedback.

Auto-Set does not work with Fluxcore wire- well it will "work" but it is not designed for Fluxcore- the machine is trying to Auto Set for solid wire and gas.
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

Quote Originally Posted by Broccoli1 View Post
    Auto-Set does not work with Fluxcore wire.
    well that's great information! and gives me some confidence in what I felt too - just wasn't sure if it was 'real'. So - in 'not working' would that be effected with too much heat, spatter etc? not necessarily feeding the wire, right? or....
    thx

Quote Originally Posted by jfk92 View Post
    well that's great information! and gives me some confidence in what I felt too - just wasn't sure if it was 'real'. So - in 'not working' would that be effected with too much heat, spatter etc? not necessarily feeding the wire, right? or....
    thx
    Exactly- Solid wire is SOLID

Fluxcore wire is hollow, with the Flux inside.

The manual doesn't exactly state that the AS feature is only for Solid wire but if you look at the Diagram on page 28 it has an Example of .035 wire and at the bottom it reads "use 75/25 Argon/CO2 gas."

AS is only for .030 and .035 Solid wire. If you want to use .023 solid wire or Fluxcore then you'll need to switch the machine to manual mode.
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

If you get into aluminum with a spool gun, AS won't work either.
    Trailblazer® 302 Air Pak™
    Miller Dynasty® 350
    Millermatic 350P Aluminum
    Millermatic® 252
    Syncrowave 351

SuitCase® X-TREME™ 12VS

Multimatic™ 200
    Millermatic® 211 Auto-Set™ w/MVP™
    XR-Aluma Pro Gun
    Diversion™ 180

Spectrum® 625 X-TREME™

Thermal Dynamics® Cutmaster® 52
    Victor Oxy/Acetylene Set

To much drive roll pressure can deform fluxcore wire, making it difficult for the wire to feed through the round bore of the contact tip. The best way to help eliminate this issue is by replacing the smooth V groove drive roll with a knurled (serrated) V grooved drive roll. The teeth is the knurled V grove will grip the wire better the a smooth V groove, allowing you to set the drive roll pressure arm tension much lower.

When running fluxcore wire , I remove the brass nozzle, and install a fluxcore nozzle. The fluxcore nozzle really isn't a nozzle, It more of protective sleeve for the tip adapter.