Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Need gate assistance

hi everyone. i want to build my step mom a gate for her birthday. she does lots for everyone, but has everything. i want to make it our of aluminum. the gate thats up now is 15' wide, 4' tall "farm" gate with bull fence on it. it swings on a elecrtic opener, and is galv steel pipe.

i was looking for some designs that are basic since we are not in the city, but nice. i also wanted to maybe find a person to plasma a design a piece for the middle thats detailed.

any help is great. i plan on powder coating mettalic once finished...Joe

Can you draw a little drawing with dimensions of what is required and upload as a jpg.
    Scan hand drawing and upload.
    That way we can see how it is hinged and stuff.

Ji
    Grip it and Rip it

Quote Originally Posted by Jigantor View Post
    Can you draw a little drawing with dimensions of what is required and upload as a jpg.
    Scan hand drawing and upload.
    That way we can see how it is hinged and stuff.

Ji
    on a macbook. not sure how to upload per forum appropriatly. i sent you a pm. thanks for your help.

I use to do a lot of wrought iron, Look at King Architectural Metals, that is a rather large aluminum supplier to the wrought iron industry.

That gate opener might not cut it for an aluminum gate. In my experience, you are using a mighty mule gate operator from tractor supply/northern tool. You might have to go a little larger due to weight and depending on if you get bind from your hinges.

With that, do not cheap out on hinges, they are actually very important, even if they do so little.

Uploaded for OP.
    Existing gate.

Ji
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Grip it and Rip it

The gate is 4.6 meters long by 1.22 meters high.
    That is one helll of a gate.
    I would make it slide sideways instead of hinged.

Ji
    Grip it and Rip it

The gate is 4.6 meters long by 1.22 meters high.
    That is one helll of a gate.
    I would make it slide sideways instead of hinged.

Ji

yeah i cant. my ol man wont go for that. he was allready busting my balls for offering to build one. but i kinda allready told her thats what i was ganna do for her birthday. wont the aluminum be much lighter than the one thats up there?

i dont mind putting a wheel on the end if needed.

That is a large span.
    I think the steel would be working hard right now.
    It needs a wheel and a guy wire to try and keep it from draging on the ground.
    If you fill in the centre with artwork wind load will be come a problem.

Ji
    Grip it and Rip it

Default Re: hi

That is a large span.
    I think the steel would be working hard right now.
    It needs a wheel and a guy wire to try and keep it from draging on the ground.
    If you fill in the centre with artwork wind load will be come a problem.

Ji

just going to put in a 1'x2' art piece if any. looking at the gate now im thinking the aluminum might weigh just as much as that steel does. ill need to keep wall thickness and material size down to a minumum. my dead grandfather baught the opener, and im not in the position to buy a new one, nor will my ol man be cool with that. im thinking ill keep the height right where its at, maybe just a bit higher in the middle with an arch. then pickets.

i would shorten the length but my dad has a toterhome he needs the width.