Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by AdamSievers View Post
    Thanks to Harcosparky for clearing things up, I was just going to let this thread be and let people assume what they wanted to, but thanks again for doing a little footwork and asking a professional. I even asked my neighbor (the electrician) if maybe my terminology was wrong on this one, and he said not to worry about it too much, i'm doing just fine. I don't deal with electrical as much as an electrician by any means, but as I said L1/L2/Neutral 3 wire setup, It is not a box with the ground bar and the neutral bar separated. Three wires run into the box from the power pole, and the ground is tied in at the pole. on the 110 circuits running into the box the bare grounds and the white neutrals all run to the same bar and the. How about you boys go buy yourselves a 6-50R plug and tell me where that 4th wire goes lmao. I think I will keep that maintenance degree Mr. Brocoli1, but what do I know I'm just some kind of idiot.
    I wouldn't put it anywhere since you don't need 4 wires with a 6-50

I don't think you're an idiot but your casual attitude on what goes on with electricity
    combined with you stating you do maintenance as well as wiring up a few 240v circuits but not understanding the difference between the Grounded conductor and Ground does concern me, I won't lose sleep though.

I apologize for making the snide comment.
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

When I said

"On a 3 wire set up on 220/230 or whatever floats your boat, there is L1, L2, and Neutral. Technically there is no ground"

I was speaking of the wiring only, from the box to the 6-50P outlet, I know what the difference is, but when you only have your 3 wires coming from the power pole into the box, because the grounding conductor is tied into the same power block as the grounded conductor... or as I like to say "the neutral is connected to the ground in the box"

Yeah I know I sound casual when I speak it, but trust me man I take it seriously, dying is not on my list of things to do. I think this is all just a matter of my garage has an outdated wiring setup, I assumed you knew,and you assumed it was up to National electric code.

I rent, so it's staying that way... no separate grounding bar to appease those NEC fellas, oh well... I have renters insurance.

Quote Originally Posted by AdamSievers View Post
    Yeah I know I sound casual when I speak it, but trust me man I take it seriously, dying is not on my list of things to do.
    NEWS FLASH: It will happen one day...whether you like it or not. (Remember only two things you can be sure of: death and taxes)
    MillerMatic 211 Auto-set w/MVP
    Just For Home Projects.