Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Tank cost

Default Tank cost

Buying Dynasty 200DX from Cyberweld.

I have a price of $250.00 for a full tank of 330cu argon, tank included
    (sold to me) from the local Etox welding supply.
    What is the shelf life of ARGON?.
    Also to trade my 80 cu ft Mig 75/25 gas for fill is $22.00.

I have decided to go water cooled tig but not to buy the pakage as I wish to buy a "used cooler" different torches etc. I think the price will be a little less also, correct me if I am wrong.

Any thought on these prices.
    Argon tank will have 5 yr. cer.

God Bless
    John

Thats probably a bargain.

For my area that is good. Location makes a difference.

In my area the LWS won't sell 330cu cylinders anymore, only lease them. The largest they now sell is an 80 cu.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

The argon basically has a permanent shelf life as do many single filled tanks. When you start mixing tanks then you have a shelf life. Gases even though we can't see them have mass/weight to them even though on a micro level. So if you get a 75/25 argon/co2 then the CO2 will sink as the argon rises over time. It will not happen overnight but you can't expect a true 75/25 mix out of a bottle that has sat in one spot for a year.

Quote Originally Posted by Country Metals View Post
    Gases even though we can't see them have mass/weight to them even though on a micro level. So if you get a 75/25 argon/co2 then the CO2 will sink as the argon rises over time. It will not happen overnight but you can't expect a true 75/25 mix out of a bottle that has sat in one spot for a year.
    I think you're mistaken here. 75-25 might "go bad" for some reason (although I can't imagine why) but it won't go bad because the gases separate. That's physically impossible.

75-25 is a solution of two compressed gases (meaning that it is perfectly, evenly, homogeneously mixed) and it will remain a solution until the end of time, whether the tank sits in one place or not. IIRC, the Ideal Gas Laws dictate this.

Colloidal suspensions (like paint or smoky air) will separate, but solutions almost never do.
    Last edited by Helios; 11-27-2012 at 09:35 AM.

John1, I bought a 125 Argon a week ago, and I paid $200 w/gas. I called two other LWS, and they were $250 and $300 for the same cylinder.

Cylinder prices and what dealers will sell/lease varies from location to location.
    Last edited by cope; 11-27-2012 at 09:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Helios View Post
    I think you're mistaken here. 75-25 might "go bad" for some reason (although I can't imagine why) but it won't go bad because the gases separate. That's physically impossible.

75-25 is a solution of two compressed gases (meaning that it is perfectly, evenly, homogeneously mixed) and it will remain a solution until the end of time, whether the tank sits in one place or not. IIRC, the Ideal Gas Laws dictate this.

Colloidal suspensions (like paint or smoky air) will separate, but solutions almost never do.

Well that is good to know. This was one of those everyone stands together and I said it, someone said answer and I just agreed without though or research. That was 2 years ago, now I feel stupid. I should take the day off lol......