Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default PiipePro 350 Mitsubishi models problem

Encountered a problem with this engine having low temp issues. It appears that the temp sender is screwed into far pushing the internal thermostat off its stand and allowing coolant to pass freely. The engine will not come up to temp and you may encounter the unit wet stacking because its running too cold. So if the coolant temp guage doesn't read anything, this is the problem. Take it in for repair ASAP!

Default Clarification

Cruizer,

What is the normal operating temp for this unit in your opinion, when it's up to speed and running on high idle? In other words, besides obvious wet stacking signs at the exhaust, how do you know you have a problem?

Mine has always been on the cold side of the temperature gage. I ran it about 4 hours yesterday, and the engine temp stabilized at about 140-145F; just barely registering on the gage. It was in the mid 40F's outside at the time I was working. I've seen it run maybe 10 higher in the hotest part of the summer, but that's it.

I always thought it was a bit cold-bloooded. But it starts and runs well. I've seen no signs of wet stacking from my machine, the exhaust residue has always been dry and no visible smoke ever during operation.

Quote Originally Posted by cruizer View Post
    Encountered a problem with this engine having low temp issues. It appears that the temp sender is screwed into far pushing the internal thermostat off its stand and allowing coolant to pass freely. The engine will not come up to temp and you may encounter the unit wet stacking because its running too cold. So if the coolant temp guage doesn't read anything, this is the problem. Take it in for repair ASAP!
    Benson's Mobile Welding & Fabrication
    www.bensonmobilewelding.com
    Serving the Dayton, Cincinnati, and Columbus, OH metropolitan areas

Default hijack

Cruizer,

Pardon the hi-jack, but do you know what the cross references are for the oil and fuel filters for the BB350 Mitsubishi engine? I'm due and I'd rather buy them locally at an auto parts store than order them through my local welding supplier.

Thanks.

These engines do run at 140, so if the gage is registering, then you don't have this out of position thermostat.

Baldwin cross reference oil filter - B1402

Best to keep on using the Donaldson P821575 air filters, or its Luberfiner counter part

Fuel filter in baldwin is a BF9835D

I only use Factory, Donaldson,Baldwin or Luburfiner filters. Tried the rest, taken them apart, and found them to be pure juck, especially Fram.
    Last edited by cruizer; 11-26-2012 at 01:06 PM.

Thumbs up

Thanks for the info and for setting my mind at ease regarding normal operating temps.

Quote Originally Posted by cruizer View Post
    Baldwin cross reference oil filter - B1402

Best to keep on using the Donaldson P821575 air filters, or its Luberfiner counter part

Fuel filter in baldwin is a BF9835D

I only use Factory, Donaldson,Baldwin or Luburfiner filters. Tried the rest, taken them apart, and found them to be pure juck, especially Fram.