Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Hybrid View

Question Welding API-650 Tank

Good Day Fellow

I am a quality control Engineer supervising the construction of an API-650 5000 M3 HFO tank currently , and I am doing this for the first time , and I can make use of the advice that I can get on how :
    1) to give a numbering system for ( welds , Welding operators ) and how to write it down on the tank itself .
    2) how often should I check welders' work ( should I check it after each run ,,,,or maybe after they are done with the whole seam )
    3) Need to know the operation sequence for welding , where to start , and how to syncronize welders' work
    4) Is there any brief paper of the code ( API-650 ) limits for rejection and acceptance , as each time am looking for one , i had to go through a lot of chapters and sections , so I would really appreciate it if one of you guys have all the limitations written briefly in one place
    5) any advice on the most common NDT test that are usually taken on tanks

PS : I can send you pics that i took for the project for better explanations

Appreciate all other help and advice
    Attached Images Attached Images

Cool

WOW looks like you have your hands full. So are your welders certified in the process used to weld the tank? If so they should have a stamp(s) to show where they welded and they should be stamping where they start and stop. You don't have a written prochedure that specifies the QC. Most of the specs are written on the first page of the drawing package, at least the ones i see are. Good luck sorting this out as it looks like someone just threw it to you....Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Default In a way yes

Quote Originally Posted by aametalmaster View Post
    WOW looks like you have your hands full. So are your welders certified in the process used to weld the tank? If so they should have a stamp(s) to show where they welded and they should be stamping where they start and stop. You don't have a written prochedure that specifies the QC. Most of the specs are written on the first page of the drawing package, at least the ones i see are. Good luck sorting this out as it looks like someone just threw it to you....Bob
    let me tell you what I have , the welders that are on the projects have been involved in different oil and gas project previously , and I have tested them upon their arrival and sent their test coupons to RT Radiographers , and they were all OK , so NOW they are certified .
    And YES for some of the welding operations , I don have a WPS not all ( Annular plates welding , Bottom plates welding ) but I am still missing lots more ( shell to shell - through different thicknesses - , shell to annular , Roof , Roof to shell )
    neither the contractor nor the designer have them , so we are working without them based on the previously gained experienced by the operators and by myself.
    it is quite true what you said : some one just threw it to me
    but am pretty happy with it , it is my first job with me " in charge " for the QC works.
    where is the best place " forum " that I can head on to get a good piece of advice on Tanks inspection and welding according to the API-650

Regards