Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by JOHN1 View Post
    OK, SO THE 200DX COMPLETE PACKAGE (WATER COOLED) FROM CYBERWELD IT IS (951139).
    Question: Should I wish to go out of the shop and go air cooled, what additionall do I need and how difficult to change?

Thanks
    John
    Extremely easy- remove water cooled set up, connect Air cooled torch.

Arc-Zone is not the best price but they certainly are the BEST with customer service so for me it is the best price.

http://www.arc-zone.com/blog/carmenelectrode/

Contact Carmen with all yer questions- she was very helpful with getting me set up as a beginner- well I'm still a novice Tig welder.
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

Thanks so very much for the info.
    Should I get the water cooled now or wait, depending how hard it is to upgrade?

God Bless
    John
    I have the aircooled torches and do limited production work with it, but then I really need the portability on field jobs too. You are doing automotive restoration in short bursts. I don't see the need for watercooled. In fact it would be a burden if you want to to portable. And it is easy to upgrade later and even have both. Once you are making money, the decision will be easy. Oh, and yes I have burned up a couple of torch heads doing production before I found the decent combo of parts.

I would start with aircooled but either way you can't go wrong. One reason I chose aircooled is that the water cooler itself does not have a way to automatically energize when you start the machine, as it has no 115volt outlet. A space issue I reckon. I don't think I will ever go watercooled on my little dynasty, even though I have many water coolers at my disposal.

Again I would save the cash and go aircooled but that is just me.
    Nothing welded, Nothing gained

Miller Dynasty700DX
    3 ea. Miller Dynasty350DX
    Miller Dynasty200DX
    ThermalArc 400 GTSW
    MillerMatic350P
    MillerMatic200 with spoolgun
    MKCobraMig260
    Lincoln SP-170T
    Linde UCC305 (sold 2011)
    Hypertherm 1250
    Hypertherm 800
    PlasmaCam CNC cutter
    Fadal Toolroom CNC Mill
    SiberHegner CNC Mill
    2 ea. Bridgeport
    LeBlond 15" Lathe
    Haberle 18" Cold Saw
    Doringer 14" Cold Saw
    6 foot x 12 foot Mojave granite

Quote Originally Posted by shovelon View Post
    I have the aircooled torches and do limited production work with it, but then I really need the portability on field jobs too. You are doing automotive restoration in short bursts. I don't see the need for watercooled. In fact it would be a burden if you want to to portable. And it is easy to upgrade later and even have both. Once you are making money, the decision will be easy. Oh, and yes I have burned up a couple of torch heads doing production before I found the decent combo of parts.

I would start with aircooled but either way you can't go wrong. One reason I chose aircooled is that the water cooler itself does not have a way to automatically energize when you start the machine, as it has no 115volt outlet. A space issue I reckon. I don't think I will ever go watercooled on my little dynasty, even though I have many water coolers at my disposal.

Again I would save the cash and go aircooled but that is just me.
    One of the main reasons I was thinking watercooled was the torch size, but will take your info and give it much thought! How much too hard to handle is an air cooled torch vs a watercooled torch?
    God Bless
    John

One of the main reasons I was thinking watercooled was the torch size, but will take your info and give it much thought! How much too hard to handle is an air cooled torch vs a watercooled torch?
    God Bless
    John
    Good point. Watercooled is slimmer. My beef with aircooled is the ribbed handle. It is fat. But I have still strapped my finger controller to it. I have thought about ordering and non ribbed handle but it will get hot fast, but that is what gloves are for. Really the air cooled WP-17 is not so much larger than my Speedway320 torches that it gets me worked up about it.
    Nothing welded, Nothing gained

Miller Dynasty700DX
    3 ea. Miller Dynasty350DX
    Miller Dynasty200DX
    ThermalArc 400 GTSW
    MillerMatic350P
    MillerMatic200 with spoolgun
    MKCobraMig260
    Lincoln SP-170T
    Linde UCC305 (sold 2011)
    Hypertherm 1250
    Hypertherm 800
    PlasmaCam CNC cutter
    Fadal Toolroom CNC Mill
    SiberHegner CNC Mill
    2 ea. Bridgeport
    LeBlond 15" Lathe
    Haberle 18" Cold Saw
    Doringer 14" Cold Saw
    6 foot x 12 foot Mojave granite

Hi John,

I do a lot of sanitary welding for the food industry and I do production parts for machine shop. I have the dynasty 200 DX and it is a dream. Food industry is normally 14 ga through 1/8" for sheet and then conveyors and such can be as thick as 1/4". I will say that I have never hooked up a water cooled torch to my machine. I do 60% portable, 40% shop with it. I have never had a problem with it except for the time that I welded 1/2" to 3/4" steel parts together with a 50/50 mix of helium and it fryed the torch head due to excessive heat, was over 7 hours welding time in a 10 hour day. I am a smaller guy at 5'7" and as such I have smaller hands. The WP17 torch I usually run is fine to hold for me. I would love to have a water cooled torch due to size but you can't have everything you want, even since money isn't the reason for me as well. I do not like the finger controls, that is a problem for my size with torch style.

I would purchase:

Machine
    WP 17 contractor kit (air) w/ wired foot pedal - wireless is kind of a waste IMO
    Extra cups and gas lenses in several sizes
    Several tungsten - sizes and type
    Air tight filler metal storage containers - w/ those dry packs you get in food

Options:
    Tungsten grinder
    Wireless Foot Petal

If I could get 1 option, I would get the tungsten grinder. It will help you with learning tig welding as the arc wont wonder from poor tip grinding.

I wouldn't buy the water cooled tig runner package.

I had one and, although it's nice and compact, the Coolmate 1 is a very noisy graphite piston pump that is reported to have reliability issues. It's very loud and annoying, much more so than the Coolmate 3 I ave now. It's also a 120 volt unit, so you gotta run 2 separate powers for the unit.

The water cooled 20 series torch is really nice, small and maneuverable. I feel it's made it much easier to learn tig to me.

You can pickup any of the torches on eBay slightly used. A cooler can be made easily or purchased for less than the Coolnate 1 package.

Get the biggest argon bottle you can afford and transport. Argon refills are cheaper at larger volumes, alot cheaper.

And THANK YOU for your service to our country.

Quote Originally Posted by Drf255 View Post
    I wouldn't buy the water cooled tig runner package.

I had one and, although it's nice and compact, the Coolmate 1 is a very noisy graphite piston pump that is reported to have reliability issues. It's very loud and annoying, much more so than the Coolmate 3 I ave now. It's also a 120 volt unit, so you gotta run 2 separate powers for the unit.

The water cooled 20 series torch is really nice, small and maneuverable. I feel it's made it much easier to learn tig to me.

You can pickup any of the torches on eBay slightly used. A cooler can be made easily or purchased for less than the Coolnate 1 package.

Get the biggest argon bottle you can afford and transport. Argon refills are cheaper at larger volumes, alot cheaper.

And THANK YOU for your service to our country.

Thanks for your reply and especially your last remark, rarely hear anyone thank a Vet. I was in Special Forces and no it was not fun!

God Bless
    John