Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Dynasty 200 dx purchase

Getting ready to buy a Dynasty 200 DX.

Is it better to buy machine only and buy accessories (torch, water cooler etc) separately or buy the package? What is the determining factor for "air" vs "water" cooled".

Also if you opt for "air cooled" can u switch it to water cooled at a later date?

Obvoiusly, new to Tig.

I will being using TIG maybe five hours per week, how do I determine what size Argon tank needed? Which torch, any suggestions.

God Bless
    John
    Last edited by JOHN1; 11-22-2012 at 12:01 PM.

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources/TIGhandbook/

I would just buy the package- you can certainly piece it together but for a beginner the package makes it easy since everything you need is in it.

You can go with a water cooled torch later, no problem.

Water cooled keeps the torch cool so you can weld hotter and longer.

Air cooled package with foot pedal
    http://store.cyberweld.com/dy200dxaipaf.html
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

Default Dynasty 200 dx purchase

Water cooled torches are smaller than air cooled and will handle higher amps.
    More info is needed:
    Where are you using it ( shop or portable)
    What are you welding ( size, aluminum, steel)
    What I did, when I got my Dynasty 200, was to get the water cooled runner package with the wireless remote and added an are cooled touch for portable uses.
    Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by go2building View Post
    Water cooled torches are smaller than air cooled and will handle higher amps.
    More info is needed:
    Where are you using it ( shop or portable)
    What are you welding ( size, aluminum, steel)
    What I did, when I got my Dynasty 200, was to get the water cooled runner package with the wireless remote and added an are cooled touch for portable uses.
    Kevin

I restore vehicles and some fabrication, 50% steel 50% aluminum will be for shop, but if needed portable I guess. $ is not the issue at present but do not want to over buy, or "I wish i had" type thing.

Max aluminum and steel is 1/4"

Am a disabled Vet and trying to set up for more income at home shop.

Also, I do some trailer/hitch work, is the "stick" mode on the 200 capable of this, mostly 1/2"?

God Bless
    John

Hi John,

Being new to tig, the contractor kit/with foot control has everything you will need, and is spec'ed right. The steel ground clamp is cheesy, but upgrades in brass or bronze are quite cheap depending on what style you want.

You get a nice torch parts kit with the contractors kit. I purchased a few stubby gas lens parts for production work and am very happy with them. I can also pull off the WP17 torch, and put on a smaller WP-9 torch that takes the WP-20 torch parts of which I have dozens of. But I would not push more than 100 amps thru it. The wired finger control torches iin the finger control contractor kit are a pain in the rear to change out for different torches.

I also picked up a CK rotary finger strap on current controller for field work. Due to some stiffness in my forefingers and thumb joint(arthritis?) I cannot feel the small tab on the slide switch types. I can feel the belt thru my gloves and have full dexterity to get the job done.

Good luck with your decision. You will not be disappointed with the 200DX if you report back here and let us work with you on parameters. My little dynasty has magical properties, but it does help that I know what a quality tig machine is.

The stick side I have no clue as I have no use whatsoever for stick. My next purchase will be the Hobart Trek180 mig if they ever choose to put a spoolgun feature on it. Migs fill my stick needs.

Happy Thanksgiving,
    Terry
    Nothing welded, Nothing gained

Miller Dynasty700DX
    3 ea. Miller Dynasty350DX
    Miller Dynasty200DX
    ThermalArc 400 GTSW
    MillerMatic350P
    MillerMatic200 with spoolgun
    MKCobraMig260
    Lincoln SP-170T
    Linde UCC305 (sold 2011)
    Hypertherm 1250
    Hypertherm 800
    PlasmaCam CNC cutter
    Fadal Toolroom CNC Mill
    SiberHegner CNC Mill
    2 ea. Bridgeport
    LeBlond 15" Lathe
    Haberle 18" Cold Saw
    Doringer 14" Cold Saw
    6 foot x 12 foot Mojave granite

Quote Originally Posted by shovelon View Post
    Hi John,

Being new to tig, the contractor kit/with foot control has everything you will need, and is spec'ed right. The steel ground clamp is cheesy, but upgrades in brass or bronze are quite cheap depending on what style you want.

You get a nice torch parts kit with the contractors kit. I purchased a few stubby gas lens parts for production work and am very happy with them. I can also pull off the WP17 torch, and put on a smaller WP-9 torch that takes the WP-20 torch parts of which I have dozens of. But I would not push more than 100 amps thru it. The wired finger control torches iin the finger control contractor kit are a pain in the rear to change out for different torches.

I also picked up a CK rotary finger strap on current controller for field work. Due to some stiffness in my forefingers and thumb joint(arthritis?) I cannot feel the small tab on the slide switch types. I can feel the belt thru my gloves and have full dexterity to get the job done.

Good luck with your decision. You will not be disappointed with the 200DX if you report back here and let us work with you on parameters. My little dynasty has magical properties, but it does help that I know what a quality tig machine is.

The stick side I have no clue as I have no use whatsoever for stick. My next purchase will be the Hobart Trek180 mig if they ever choose to put a spoolgun feature on it. Migs fill my stick needs.

Happy Thanksgiving,
    Terry
    Thanks so very much for the info.
    Should I get the water cooled now or wait, depending how hard it is to upgrade?

God Bless
    John

If money isn't an issue get it now.
    Miller Trailblazer's ( 2 )...MillerBobcat 250...Millermatic 251's ( 2 )...Miller Syncrowave 200...Miller Syncrowave 180SD...Miller 12VS Suitcases ( 2 )... Hobart Hefty CC/CV Suitcases ( 2 )...Miller 30A Spool Guns ( 2 )...Miller WC 15A Control boxes ( 2 )...Thermo Dynamics Cutmaster 50 Plasma Cutters ( 2 )...Thermo Arc Hi Freq Units ( 2 )...Smith / Victor O/A Sets...DeWalt Power Tools...Craftsman / Snap On Hand Tools... Two Dodge Mobile Rigs

Quote Originally Posted by JOHN1 View Post
    Thanks so very much for the info.
    Should I get the water cooled now or wait, depending how hard it is to upgrade?

God Bless
    John
    I have the aircooled torches and do limited production work with it, but then I really need the portability on field jobs too. You are doing automotive restoration in short bursts. I don't see the need for watercooled. In fact it would be a burden if you want to to portable. And it is easy to upgrade later and even have both. Once you are making money, the decision will be easy. Oh, and yes I have burned up a couple of torch heads doing production before I found the decent combo of parts.

I would start with aircooled but either way you can't go wrong. One reason I chose aircooled is that the water cooler itself does not have a way to automatically energize when you start the machine, as it has no 115volt outlet. A space issue I reckon. I don't think I will ever go watercooled on my little dynasty, even though I have many water coolers at my disposal.

Again I would save the cash and go aircooled but that is just me.
    Nothing welded, Nothing gained

Miller Dynasty700DX
    3 ea. Miller Dynasty350DX
    Miller Dynasty200DX
    ThermalArc 400 GTSW
    MillerMatic350P
    MillerMatic200 with spoolgun
    MKCobraMig260
    Lincoln SP-170T
    Linde UCC305 (sold 2011)
    Hypertherm 1250
    Hypertherm 800
    PlasmaCam CNC cutter
    Fadal Toolroom CNC Mill
    SiberHegner CNC Mill
    2 ea. Bridgeport
    LeBlond 15" Lathe
    Haberle 18" Cold Saw
    Doringer 14" Cold Saw
    6 foot x 12 foot Mojave granite

Quote Originally Posted by shovelon View Post
    Hi John,

Happy Thanksgiving,
    Terry

OK, SO THE 200DX COMPLETE PACKAGE (WATER COOLED) FROM CYBERWELD IT IS (951139).
    Question: Should I wish to go out of the shop and go air cooled, what additionall do I need and how difficult to change?

Thanks
    John

Default Tig Torch

Go with water cooled air cooled are big and "clumzee". I tried a air cool when
    I first got my 250 syncro. As soon as I could aford it I switched. 250 amp is
    all you'll ever need. I restore cars as well mostly British. Hope you have a good
    Mig as well.