Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Need to know if my garage power will handle a Syncwave 250DX

I have the oppertunity to purchase a Syncwave 250 DX (907194 -031).
    I have 220v 50amp capability for power, Can I use the 250 with this breaker size

It can be used but not to it's full capability. These machines are supposed to be run on a 100 amp breaker unless it has PFC. You will find out your limit when you start tripping the breaker.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

Great machine.

Unless you're doing heavier aluminum work, you may be able to get away with a 50A circuit. Many people do.

Can you run a 100A circuit to where you want to run the machine? (Larger wire, larger breaker?) This often isn't as large a hassle/expense as people think.

Default Depends on PFC

If you have PFC, it will blow a 50 amp breaker at idle. IIRC, mine drew something like 49 or 52 amps at idle with the pfc and 9 amps without it. I know that makes no sense, but it's in the owners manual and is true. Once you start welding, the pfc will allow you to run the machine at higher amps with less input amperage.

I disconnected my pfc and ran my Syncro 250 as high as 225 amps without a hitch on a 50 amp breaker.

I've made it to 250amps before popping a 60amp breaker. That 250 wasn't to long though, it was basically full throttle.....pop. 50-60amp will get you to most stuff. Like the other guy said, unless you're doing lots of heavy aluminum 50 amps won't cut it, but for the average garage guy, its enough to weld at 200 amps all day.

Make sure the wire in this 60A circuit is heavy enough, a number 6. Remember that not all 50 or 60A welder circuits are wired for it.

This subject comes up all the time, a thing we focus on is the breaker but when connecting this machine to a smaller breaker you are also connecting it to a smaller wire than is ideal. You can run a buzz box on a 10 beyond its duty cycle.

Mineunder wiredired and I bootlegged a local disconnect, my panel was full tappedpped the main lug feed thru, the device I used had 100 in it got a 6 cord,,, thats all the bad news, the good is that the breaker is off. Back when I did use it tripped a 60 once on a 300 synch, just got carried away on a long seam on some one off job. Never happened again.

Every once in a while I get a ping like I should fix that circuit,, then it passes, its a rack for 2 other machines, cant remember the last time I used it. Got a Y on the bottle, goes to it and a HH210spool gunoolgun that sits on top of it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Thanks all

Im going to have a new box wired
    to good of deal on machine to pass up
    thanks again for information