Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by big mike View Post
    Why produce a 20% duty cycle machine?.......price point.
    Also, don't forget portability. Duty cycle of a welder is also determined by the cooling capacity of the welder. Generally, smaller compact sized welders will have less duty cycle and less weight than something with a better duty cycle.

Just how portable is the snap on welder compared to the smaller size units? Also, who would be willing to pay the $2700 price for a 140amp snap on welder?
    Millermatic Passport Plus
    Millermatic 200

Millermatic 350P with Python
    XMT 304 /w S-64 feeder and 12VS
    Dynasty 300 DX
    Thermal Arc 400 MST
    Victor O/A
    Premier Power Welder for my trail junk.

Quote Originally Posted by crawler:296607
    Quote Originally Posted by big mike View Post
    Why produce a 20% duty cycle machine?.......price point.
    Also, don't forget portability. Duty cycle of a welder is also determined by the cooling capacity of the welder. Generally, smaller compact sized welders will have less duty cycle and less weight than something with a better duty cycle.

Just how portable is the snap on welder compared to the smaller size units? Also, who would be willing to pay the $2700 price for a 140amp snap on welder?
    Well.... right out of the box you can reach 25' from the machine, from the receptacle you can reach 45'. Tell me a portable miller you can do that with? None. So when u set the miller up to reach inside of a 6 wheel dump body ( typically 1/8-3/16" ) and without putting the machine in the body with you, you will have well over the 2700 for the snap on. I currently own 5 millers, 2 hobarts, 1 Marquette, 2 lincolns and a thermal dynamics... i used the snap on and was impressed with its performance. If you dont like it because you READ a couple bad reviews i really dont give a sh@^. Everyone is entitled to a opinion.

Default duty cycle

Theirs a lot of times I wish my mm135 had a longer duty cycle. So I could leave my main unit set up with .045 instead of having to switch it out for sheet metal repairs.
    ARMOR
    MOBILE WELDING&SERVICES
    Trailblazer 302
    X-TREME 12VS
    Spoolmatic 30A
    Millermatic 135
    WeldCraft WPseries TIG torch
    Smith oxy set.

The point is that machine is not really very mobile. It is heavy. Kinda like they took a bigger machine and made the knob only turn up halfway. The tig feature is nice. But you could get a Lincoln 350 for a bit more money and lots more features.
    WAY too much money for what you get.
    Sounds like somebody needs to have their MM180 looked at IMO.
    Getting hot at halfway isn't normal.
    I would have almost no use whatsoever for this machine. I could see a body shop falling in love with it. I still have loads of overpriced Snap-On equipment from my auto repair days. I even have a Snap-On Truck owner client.To each his own. I believe this thread is meant to stir the pot anyways, so good job on that point!
    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller Spoolmate 200
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt
    SPEEDGLAS 9100XX

Quote Originally Posted by FusionKing:296617
    The point is that machine is not really very mobile. It is heavy. Kinda like they took a bigger machine and made the knob only turn up halfway. The tig feature is nice. But you could get a Lincoln 350 for a bit more money and lots more features.
    WAY too much money for what you get.
    Sounds like somebody needs to have their MM180 looked at IMO.
    Getting hot at halfway isn't normal.
    I would have almost no use whatsoever for this machine. I could see a body shop falling in love with it. I still have loads of overpriced Snap-On equipment from my auto repair days. I even have a Snap-On Truck owner client.To each his own. I believe this thread is meant to stir the pot anyways, so good job on that point!
    That definetly makes sense, it has the features that a bigger welder would have too. Really i didnt start this thread with the intention of it going the way it did but it seems alot of threads do that here. You get what im saying. For a long time i thought snap on had junk welders, i used my friends the other night for about 20 minutes straight with it turned all the way up. I was expecting it to overheat or trip the breaker but to my surprise it didnt, it also welded really smooth for a 110v. Im not gona go out and buy one myself but if i found a used one for a decent price i wouldnt pass it up. My friend bought his like new for 1500 bucks.

If I had the chance to get one cheap, it would be something I might recommend to a friend. I have a buddy who swears by his YA212 and he has had it for years.
    Miller made a body shop 120v machine called a cricket or something like that. I remember the LWS taking a couple in on trade a couple of years ago. Not near that fancy tho.

Miller Bobcat 225 NT
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller Spoolmate 200
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt
    SPEEDGLAS 9100XX

I think maybe it was called the sidekick
    Low duty cycle and power tho. Pretty much junk IMO.

Miller Bobcat 225 NT
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller Spoolmate 200
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt
    SPEEDGLAS 9100XX

I wonder how they get more out of a 20A circuit than other machines do?

Quote Originally Posted by Sberry View Post
    They don't. This snap on welder uses 30A 120v circuit.
    Millermatic Passport Plus
    Millermatic 200

Millermatic 350P with Python
    XMT 304 /w S-64 feeder and 12VS
    Dynasty 300 DX
    Thermal Arc 400 MST
    Victor O/A
    Premier Power Welder for my trail junk.

Quote Originally Posted by Sberry View Post
    Look at the weight!!
    sucker weighs almost 200 lbs!
    It's not apples to apples here. Different animal altogether.

Miller Bobcat 225 NT
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller Spoolmate 200
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt
    SPEEDGLAS 9100XX