Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default cutting oil or coolant?

Hi, i am wondering if i can use "cutting oil" as a coolant for my bandsaw.

the product that i have is "tap magic pro tap" i ended up with this product because it was the only thing that i could find in less then a 20 litre pail.

my question is: is this product able to mix with water and if so at what ratio? and will it run through my coolant system on my saw?

the saw is a king canada 7" x 12"

thanks in advance.

It will gum your saw up.

I went to my local machine shop and bought 1 gallon of coolant, then dilluted it.

Or call kalamazoobandsaws.com they sell there brand of coolant in 1 gallon portions. I have never tried it though.

Quote Originally Posted by Jobpump53 View Post
    It will gum your saw up.

I went to my local machine shop and bought 1 gallon of coolant, then dilluted it.

Or call kalamazoobandsaws.com they sell there brand of coolant in 1 gallon portions. I have never tried it though.

yes my next idea was to go to the local machine shop. my dad works at a parts store so i figured they could get it at a good cost to me but it appears to be the wrong thing.

so just to be clear cutting fluid and coolant are completly different and if i was to dilute this "pro tap" it wouldent run in my saw?

my understanding is you do not want an oil based cutting fluid in ur bandsaw. I have never tried it just been told when i bought my kalamazoo bandsaw.

If you mix water with tapmatic it will suspend and not mix its an oil. Try it in a cup of water.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-co...blades/=k8tpty

You can get water soluble coolant here.

I have also heard but don't know for fact & have never tried it myself that you can use auto anti freeze mixed 50/50 with water. Whatever you use it should have rust inhibitors.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

Quote Originally Posted by MMW View Post
    http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-co...blades/=k8tpty

You can get water soluble coolant here.

I have also heard but don't know for fact & have never tried it myself that you can use auto anti freeze mixed 50/50 with water. Whatever you use it should have rust inhibitors.

ok thanks for the help guys. im going to send the tap magic back with my dad to the parts store and i have a friend that works at a machine shop. i talked to him and they use mobil brand "mobilcut 102" so i convinced him to sell me a gallon of it

and i dont think i would put Automotive antifreeze in it as a coolant... it may work as it does have rust inhibitors and lubricants and it would be the right viscosity but you get the stuff all over your hands and i know antifreeze is toxic. also if it burns it makes horrible fumes

Unless you are cutting a lot of metal or large pieces with long cutting times, why use a coolant at all? I have a 7x12 band saw and cut dry almost of the time. When I used coolant, it was such a mess as the coolant would follow the cutoff piece and drip all over the floor. If I have a piece that will take awhile to cut, I can hit it with a spray bottle of lube or coolant
    Nick
    Miller 252 Mig
    Miller Cricket XL
    Millermatic 150 Mig
    Miller Syncrowave 200 Tig
    2-O/A outfits
    Jet Lathe and Mill
    Jet 7x12 horz/vert band saw
    DeWalt Multi Cutter metal saw
    Century 50 Amp Plasma Cutter
    20 ton electric/hydraulic vertical press
    Propane Forge
    60" X 60" router/plasma table

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTu7wicVCmQ
    Vist my site: www.nixstuff.com
    and check out some of my ironwork and other stuff

I agree with Monte55. Did you check your manual if lubricant is required ??

Quote Originally Posted by BD1 View Post
    I agree with Monte55. Did you check your manual if lubricant is required ??
    I am wanting to prolong the life of the blades in my saw and it has a cooling system in it so i figure i might aswell use it. It came with a horrible blade in it made in china. made its way through 1 piece of stainless 1/4" angle and that was it. teeth were to dull to cut anything.

i also noticed that this saw cuts pretty slow compared to some saws i have used in the past. i was hoping i could turn up the speed of it a little bit with the coolant and see if it would cut better.

Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus