Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Hybrid View

Default wire feeder problem

I bought a new Millermatic 185 5 years ago and only have it for around the home projects. It sits in a non heated garage in a northern climate, but it has some heat some of the time. I have not used an 11 lb spool of wire yet.
    Thje problem is that now when I go to use it the wire folds between the feeder and the feeder hose. If I frig around and pull some out it will work for awhile.
    Does the wire get some corrosion or does the feeder hose corrode inside or has anyone elsehad this problem?

Cool

I have the same machine. Sounds like your wire is rusty, the liner is rusty or kinked. Take the contact tip off and see if it feeds because it may be plugged too...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Quote Originally Posted by aametalmaster View Post
    I have the same machine. Sounds like your wire is rusty, the liner is rusty or kinked. Take the contact tip off and see if it feeds because it may be plugged too...Bob

Those were my thoughts, ,but I had to check and see if it might be something else.
    I think it is rusty wire, not a kink but I am going to check everthing very closely.
    TKS.

I put a piece of brillo pad with a cloth pin before you pullys on the wire and that helps with the rust on the wire. As the wire feeds in the the brillo pad cleans the wire and the cloth pin keeps tension on the pad. Good luck

Brillo dust will just fill up the gun liner, replace the roll and be done with it...

Good to to know cruzer, never intended to harm the welder. It just worked for me, but i guess i will stop also. Thanks