Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Question on 6010

Hello everyone:
    I am new to this whole thing but I think Its great what everyone is doing on this sight.
    Anyways what I wanted to throw out there is I have a weld test coming up that I have been sweating for the past week. It is a 6G sch.80 6" pipe weld test but here is the thing, it is an all uphill test and all of the tests I have passed previously I was allowed to run my 6010 down hill and that is what I am used to and for some reason every time I try running 6010 uphill I cant seem to get it quite right. Any suggestions? Another thing I wanted to add was I don't understand why some places prefer 6010 uphill, why does it really matter? Because I will say running 6010 down hill I think looks a lot nicer.

Its not all about the looks. If its not going to stay together. Uphill= more penetration & less of a chance of slag being inbeded in the welds.
    Last edited by eecervantes83; 11-15-2012 at 11:02 PM.
    Miller Bobcat 225NT onan
    Millermatic 211
    Spoolmate 100
    (Retapped to fit regular mig tips)
    Work better & less parts to stock.
    Miller 130xp
    T/A Dragster 85 (portability 11 pounds)
    Oxygen/Acetylene torch set 50'
    2. 4-1/2" grinders
    1. 9" grinder
    14" Makita chop saw
    1/2" Aircat impact gun 900#

Thanks for the reply.
    I definitely agree with you about not being all about the looks, it just seems to turn out out much cleaner when 6010 is ran down hill but for some reason when I run it up I tend to lose control of the keyhole but when I cruise down its so smooth.

Work on your whip. And maybe turn down your temp a little. Keep your arc as tight as possible. Keep uiur eyes on thr materials edge . & try weeving your weld instead of stringers. Post some pics for better advice.
    Miller Bobcat 225NT onan
    Millermatic 211
    Spoolmate 100
    (Retapped to fit regular mig tips)
    Work better & less parts to stock.
    Miller 130xp
    T/A Dragster 85 (portability 11 pounds)
    Oxygen/Acetylene torch set 50'
    2. 4-1/2" grinders
    1. 9" grinder
    14" Makita chop saw
    1/2" Aircat impact gun 900#

Yeah I will definitely try that out. I don't seem to have much trouble running my cover passes uphill with 7018 but like I said I'm just a little nervous about running that 6010 uphill, I do really want to learn it and learn it well. I figured I could get some good suggestion on this sight and I know the question I asked seemed a little odd and hilarious to some folks but I have spent most of my years with tig, mig ang flux core wire. So thanks a lot man I really appreciate it!

I will also try to put a few photos together and you can point out some of the flaws.

There are lots of threads here on root passes with 6010 in 6g. The search button will work wonders.
    If your keyhole opens too much for you running 6010 up, use a thicker land or tighter root gap or turn your heat down.
    Lincoln Idealarc 250 stick/tig
    Century Mig
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
    Torchmate CNC table

Owner/Operator Devlin Metal Works
    Custom CNC Plasma Cutting and Welding