Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

What ya do is take the machine only into another service depot, and act like a dumb maid, ie, "I don't know what happened, it was working one day, but didn't work the next." Or be one of there very few, and tell em what actually happened.

Yeah, be sure to show them the cable too
    Nick
    Miller 252 Mig
    Miller Cricket XL
    Millermatic 150 Mig
    Miller Syncrowave 200 Tig
    2-O/A outfits
    Jet Lathe and Mill
    Jet 7x12 horz/vert band saw
    DeWalt Multi Cutter metal saw
    Century 50 Amp Plasma Cutter
    20 ton electric/hydraulic vertical press
    Propane Forge
    60" X 60" router/plasma table

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTu7wicVCmQ
    Vist my site: www.nixstuff.com
    and check out some of my ironwork and other stuff

Quote Originally Posted by jaden View Post
    Hi, I just purchased a diversion 180 Tig and using it about the second time I had a piece of steel fall off my bench and break the cablefor the foot control. now the welder will only work on the lowest setting. I was told by the dealer that this is not warranty. is there a simple fix for this problem or will i have to pay them to do the work on it?

Thanks
    0. It sounds like wires to the variable resistor, controlling amperage, have been compromised.

1. What part of the cable was broken?

2. Was the cable plug going into the machine distressed by the steel falling on the cable?

3. Were wires in the cable cut (or shorted) by the steel? Which colors of wire strands in the cable were cut/shorted by the steel?

4. If you can check the voltages at the pinouts for the pedal (found on the schematic), it might give you a clue to where the defect exists.
    Last edited by Goodhand; 11-15-2012 at 01:04 AM.

well. I ended up sending the unit in to the place that i bought the welder and they sent it in for repair

I told the guy what happened and sent in the foot cable. ends up that it fried the circuit board in the welder! wow. I was surprised that they dont install some sort of safety device for this.

anyways they are going to replace the circuit board under warranty so i guess thats all that really matters.

good to know that miller stands behind there products in a scenario like this

Glad I bought miller
    Miller Bobcat 225NT onan
    Millermatic 211
    Spoolmate 100
    (Retapped to fit regular mig tips)
    Work better & less parts to stock.
    Miller 130xp
    T/A Dragster 85 (portability 11 pounds)
    Oxygen/Acetylene torch set 50'
    2. 4-1/2" grinders
    1. 9" grinder
    14" Makita chop saw
    1/2" Aircat impact gun 900#

but my problem is that the welder will only put out 10 amps now... theres a controller on the torch that works in place of the foot pedal if the foot pedal is unplugged and it will only let me run 10 Amps.

thanks

no it was un plugged... it must have backfed power through the welder and fried something. what i dont know

What you are saying is that when the foot pedal is plugged in it overrides the controller on the torch.

Assuming that the controller component in the torch, maybe a variable resistor, is the same as that in the foot pedal then it would appear as though when the metal piece cut through the cable it shorted out the wires and fried something common to both the foot control and torch control.

That is most like a controller circuit board but is troubleshooting that within your capabilities.

Keep in mind I am taking a guess at this because I do not know that specific machine, but I am an electronics technician.

well. I ended up sending the unit in to the place that i bought the welder and they sent it in for repair

I told the guy what happened and sent in the foot cable. ends up that it fried the circuit board in the welder! wow. I was surprised that they dont install some sort of safety device for this.

anyways they are going to replace the circuit board under warranty so i guess thats all that really matters.

good to know that miller stands behind there products in a scenario like this
    Sounds like Miller has made another customer VERY happy!
    Nothing welded, Nothing gained

Miller Dynasty700DX
    3 ea. Miller Dynasty350DX
    Miller Dynasty200DX
    ThermalArc 400 GTSW
    MillerMatic350P
    MillerMatic200 with spoolgun
    MKCobraMig260
    Lincoln SP-170T
    Linde UCC305 (sold 2011)
    Hypertherm 1250
    Hypertherm 800