Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default DIVERSION 180 broken foot cable now the whole welder doesent work?

Hi, I just purchased a diversion 180 Tig and using it about the second time I had a piece of steel fall off my bench and break the cablefor the foot control. now the welder will only work on the lowest setting. I was told by the dealer that this is not warranty. is there a simple fix for this problem or will i have to pay them to do the work on it?

Thanks

If its the cable that was cut, just splice the wires back together. After that wrap it with electrical tape or if you want to get a little fancy use some heat shrink tubing.

Dynasty 200 DX
    Diversion 180 (FOR SALE)
    Millermatic 350P, XR-Aluma-Pro
    30A Spoolgun
    Lincoln Pro Mig 140
    Hypertherm Powermax 30
    14" Rage Evolution 360
    40 ton press brake
    Shop full of tools

Quote Originally Posted by ja baudin View Post
    If its the cable that was cut, just splice the wires back together. After that wrap it with electrical tape or if you want to get a little fancy use some heat shrink tubing.
    It will only operate on the lowest setting (10A) even with the hand controlls on the torch with the foot pedal un plugged. I could splice the wires and fix the pedal as you said but the welder still wouldent work?

I recently sold my Diversion 165 so I can not personally verify this but I believe that the cable used for the Diversion foot control is just an Ethernet CAT5 patch cord. If you have a wired home network or even your PC wired to the DSL or Cable box try borrowing the cable. Ethernet patch cords are available just about everywhere - Radio Shack, Wally World, office supply stores, computer stores etc. I am sure Miller has a replacement part number if you want True Blue.

Ken

but my problem is that the welder will only put out 10 amps now... theres a controller on the torch that works in place of the foot pedal if the foot pedal is unplugged and it will only let me run 10 Amps.

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by taylorkh View Post
    I recently sold my Diversion 165 so I can not personally verify this but I believe that the cable used for the Diversion foot control is just an Ethernet CAT5 patch cord. If you have a wired home network or even your PC wired to the DSL or Cable box try borrowing the cable. Ethernet patch cords are available just about everywhere - Radio Shack, Wally World, office supply stores, computer stores etc. I am sure Miller has a replacement part number if you want True Blue.

Ken
    I agree. It's just a patch cord. Go to Best Buy and get a new one.
    Trailblazer® 302 Air Pak™
    Miller Dynasty® 350
    Millermatic 350P Aluminum
    Millermatic® 252
    Syncrowave 351

SuitCase® X-TREME™ 12VS

Multimatic™ 200
    Millermatic® 211 Auto-Set™ w/MVP™
    XR-Aluma Pro Gun
    Diversion™ 180

Spectrum® 625 X-TREME™

Thermal Dynamics® Cutmaster® 52
    Victor Oxy/Acetylene Set

Quote Originally Posted by jaden View Post
    but my problem is that the welder will only put out 10 amps now... theres a controller on the torch that works in place of the foot pedal if the foot pedal is unplugged and it will only let me run 10 Amps.

thanks
    Are you sure that falling metal didn't get part of the torch cable as well?
    Trailblazer® 302 Air Pak™
    Miller Dynasty® 350
    Millermatic 350P Aluminum
    Millermatic® 252
    Syncrowave 351

SuitCase® X-TREME™ 12VS

Multimatic™ 200
    Millermatic® 211 Auto-Set™ w/MVP™
    XR-Aluma Pro Gun
    Diversion™ 180

Spectrum® 625 X-TREME™

Thermal Dynamics® Cutmaster® 52
    Victor Oxy/Acetylene Set

Quote Originally Posted by kvwall View Post
    Are you sure that falling metal didn't get part of the torch cable as well?
    yes im positive, its like when the cord split it shorted something in the welder, i checked the owners manual and for this symptom it sais to send it in to be looked at. im just wondering if there is an easy fix for this as opposed to sending it in and paying a fortune for it to be fixxed

Just checking, but when you tried the hand control on the torch was the busted cable still plugged into the machine or did you unplug it?

Dynasty 200 DX
    Diversion 180 (FOR SALE)
    Millermatic 350P, XR-Aluma-Pro
    30A Spoolgun
    Lincoln Pro Mig 140
    Hypertherm Powermax 30
    14" Rage Evolution 360
    40 ton press brake
    Shop full of tools

Quote Originally Posted by ja baudin View Post
    Just checking, but when you tried the hand control on the torch was the busted cable still plugged into the machine or did you unplug it?
    no it was un plugged... it must have backfed power through the welder and fried something. what i dont know