Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Hybrid View

Default Welding Eye-Hand Coordination Training/Practice Techniques ?????

So recently I have been asked by some folks ( parents of potential welding trade school students ) for any information or ideas I can find on and training or exercises a SMAW welding student can do to help hone their eye-hand coordination.

Of course I am looking for things that can be done, when welding is not possible.

So far I have read of an exercise involving a flat washer, pencil and flat surface.

Does anyone else have any ideas or methods they use???

Input from Welding Instructors is what I might need ..... however I am open to all suggestions.

If you can reference a Welding publication where the ideas are presented that would be really great.

Good practice for torch or stinger tie a pencil to a 18" straight stick or equal and practice the alphabet in print and cursive
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts

Quote Originally Posted by jazond82 View Post
    Good practice for torch or stinger tie a pencil to a 18" straight stick or equal and practice the alphabet in print and cursive
    That's a great idea! How about improving it by getting a cheap electrode holder, an electrode and a pencil. Tape the pencil to the electrode and stick the electrode in the holder.

Be sure to wear your helmet and gloves to make it all tie together in your brain. :-)
    ==============
    Miller 211 MVP
    Hobart StickMate LX 235
    Lincoln AC 225
    CutMaster 42

Quote Originally Posted by Thrutraffic View Post
    Be sure to wear your helmet and gloves to make it all tie together in your brain. :-)
    For that matter - I'd say set up a few strobe lights and fry something on the stove right next to you while doing it too....maybe have someone point a hairdryer at your face?

Seriously though - I liked the question a lot as someone new to the craft - looking forward to more great suggestions (my weak humor aside....!)

j

Default Another pencil idea...

I know this is another idea that involves a pencil, paper and a flat surface, but this technique improves controlling your electrode gap abilities. Just slide a pencil inside a washer towards you in a straight line without marking the paper. You can go to a 3/32" washer after conquering the 1/8". I know this doesn't help much with a consuming electrode - just an idea...

Hi, I can only suggest that you or the person needing the practice, actually go and do some Tigging, more Tigging and some more too....you didn't learn to drive a car with a Playstation or simulator did you?
    Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by jfk92 View Post
    For that matter - I'd say set up a few strobe lights and fry something on the stove right next to you while doing it too....maybe have someone point a hairdryer at your face?
    j
    Yep, let's not be trying different things and thinking out of the box. Crap, sorry guys, I keep forgetting my narrowmind upbringing. Hope my pappy don't hear 'bout dis.
    ==============
    Miller 211 MVP
    Hobart StickMate LX 235
    Lincoln AC 225
    CutMaster 42

Myself...I have a dominant eye sometime when I have trouble I will close my dominant eye to make the other eye work harder sometimes when I'm wrapping corners or can't get my head positioned so I can see clearly this helps

They needed to be in a big rig simulator, so they know what happens when a little car cuts offs a big truck

Quote Originally Posted by beamwalker View Post
    They needed to be in a big rig simulator, so they know what happens when a little car cuts offs a big truck
    If you ask me, I think that in order to renew your drivers license, you should be required to go through all of the testing as if it was your first time. Written and driving. I'm not a 'professional' driver but lately I am doing 200 miles plus per day five days a week.

If I did not have to do this driving, I would not .... but alas I do.

160 miles per day is on I-95 and I see nothing but IDIOTS all day long out there.

It's amazing the crap they pull, and to make matters worse they do it in plain view of Law Enforcement. I asked an officer about that once and he more or less shrugged saying something about dealing with it when there is a wreck!