Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Danger 2% Thoriated Tung.

For those who worry about the use of 2% thoriated tung. I ran across this on the net.
    http://xfinity.comcast.net/video/is-...anNews/newest/

The linked video was about microwave radiation from cell phones. Apples and oranges...

Eat too many apples or too many oranges will have a negative affect on your biochemistry.

Microwave radiation or radioactive radiation can cause negative results in your biochemistry.

The point is quantity and exposure, the microwave radition of a cell phone stuck to your ear is at least as bad, if you will give me that, as tungsten radiation through your leathers, gloves and smoke exposure.. If you are not too worried about the first why would you worry about the second.

Cell phones come with a warning, tungsten comes with an MSDS so please accept this post as intended.

Quote Originally Posted by weldbay View Post
    Eat too many apples or too many oranges will have a negative affect on your biochemistry.

Microwave radiation or radioactive radiation can cause negative results in your biochemistry.

The point is quantity and exposure, the microwave radition of a cell phone stuck to your ear is at least as bad, if you will give me that, as tungsten radiation through your leathers, gloves and smoke exposure.. If you are not too worried about the first why would you worry about the second.

Cell phones come with a warning, tungsten comes with an MSDS so please accept this post as intended.

That's pretty funny. I bought a new shop a year ago and it is under 2 sets of high tension power lines in NJ. Well the shop is about 175 feet away from the closest point on ground. I had to jump through hoops to buy this place since it was a steal. The mortgage company told me that they weren't going to sign a release for the property because of the magnetic effects it could have on people. I was like WTF, you do understand what welding is right.... So I did research in Japan and England since they have no choice but to live by them and all the research came up saying that 1 yr of constant use of cell phones is worse then living your whole life under high tension lines.

P.S. I use to deliver roofing and siding for a company and we delivered to a new development in PA that sits directly under 2 sets of high tension power lines. The houses are literally less then 50 feet away from the tower and over 200 homes in that development. there are 2 towers inside the dev.
    Last edited by Country Metals; 11-13-2012 at 12:39 PM.

We use 2% ceriated tungsten now and it runs great. No hazard from grinding except the grinding dust

Quote Originally Posted by weldbay View Post
    ... as tungsten radiation through your leathers, gloves and smoke exposure...
    LOL...No!

MSDS states:

"Thorium is a naturally occurring low level radioactive element. Thorium is primarily an alpha emitter. Daughters in the decay chain emit alpha, beta, and gamma radiation. Radioactive elements are regulated by the Nuclear Regulatory Commission. The NRC publishes regulations regulations regarding radioactive materials."
    "Effects of overexposure: ...Chronic inhalation of the dust may cause lung damage in humans."
    "Carcinogenic assessment: NTP-1 (Thoria). Note: NTP-1: Substances or groups of substances that are known to be carcinogenic. 'Known carcinogens' are defined by the NTP (National Toxicology Program) report as those substances for which there is sufficient evidence of carninogenicity from studies in humans to indicate a causal relationship between the agent and human cancer."
    "Toxicological Information: ...Heavy exposure to the dust or the ingestion of large amounts of the soluble compounds produces changes in body weight, behavior, blood cells, choline esterase activity and sperm in experimental animals."

This has nothing to do with the electromagnetic radiation exposure from a microwave transmission.