Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Old big 40

Hybrid View

Default Old big 40

I found an old big 40 for sale it runs good and welds good but the engine block is cracked.It leaks coolant both into the oil and outside of the block.You can see where the crack is because someone tried to JB weld it.The motor is a 165F continental.My question is if anyone knows where I can get a block or another complete motor? I would prefer used.I think machine is a 1970 but I am not sure.

Default respoding to big 40

Quote Originally Posted by DW Fatboy View Post
    I found an old big 40 for sale it runs good and welds good but the engine block is cracked.It leaks coolant both into the oil and outside of the block.You can see where the crack is because someone tried to JB weld it.The motor is a 165F continental.My question is if anyone knows where I can get a block or another complete motor? I would prefer used.I think machine is a 1970 but I am not sure.
    hey dw how are you i allso have a big 40 .i used it for about 5 years till i bought a 250 bobcat and a 302 trailblazer the reason why is i dont have to trailer it around im trying to sell the thing but evryone wants a small compact welder .its got a fresh engine and the generator has been rebuilt .its got a contenental motor all original and its from 1973 but it can weld any type of rods you can throw at it ...cheers red iron

Were are you located Dw ?
    Dynasty 200DX "Blue Lightning"
    Bernard 3500ss water-cooler
    Rockwell vertical mill
    Beverly Shear B-3
    Beverly Shear JR
    Home-made English wheel
    Milwaukee Porta-band
    " Sawz-all
    Tennsmith 36" stomp shear
    Fixer upper 1968 Redface Lincoln sa200
    Powcon 300st

I know this is going to sound radical, but,,, find one for sale thats not broke.

Quote Originally Posted by Sberry View Post
    I know this is going to sound radical, but,,, find one for sale thats not broke.
    I know this is going to sound radical but ... what's wrong with JB Weld? I've seen cracked blocks run for years and years and years after being repaired with JB Weld. And those were marine engines, not welders.

I have repaired blocks with it, worked well but here is the point. These machines already are valued at scrap, its not a machine he already owns, why buy a broke unit then try sourcing one of the major pieces, do all the labor when a guy could look a little and buy one that works?

I just bought a SA200, would not have been interested at any price with a busted engine. I think the blue ones worth even less.