Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Quote Originally Posted by harcosparky View Post
    First Home Depot does have 50 Amp outlets and plugs.

Most importantly is the size of the wire from the breaker to the welder.

They say that 8 ga is OK for 40 Amps ..... but if the run is too long, and extension cords are used voltage drop may be significant enough to cause problems.

In order to insure my welders will operate as designed I installed all 6 ga wiring from the box to the welder.

I'm picking up a MM211 in the very near future to replace a MM210 I had but was not being used as much as it would have been because of its physical size.

I will be closely watching the MM211's performance though after hearing people are complaining about it.

One things for certain, it won't be an input voltage problem if there are issues.

I might just rent one for a day to see how I like it.
    Input Voltage is not a problem
    I've run mine on 120v 200' from a panel
    208v no problem
    240v from a Honda 6500w genset
    240v at home 30amp breaker

Runs fine.

The 240v "problems" we're real problems with defective machines not input Voltage
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

Quote Originally Posted by Broccoli1 View Post

The 240v "problems" we're real problems with defective machines not input Voltage
    Ok, before I go and pick one up can you tell me if this is something that has been resolved or are there still defective machines out there I should be concerned about?

My primary use for the MM211 will be aluminum work.

In fact my plan is to set it up with a spool gun and only the spool gun.

If I need to do any steel work, I'll change the gas and run steel wire in the spool gun.

Last edited by harcosparky; 11-24-2012 at 03:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by harcosparky View Post
    Ok, before I go and pick one up can you tell me if this is something that has been resolved or are there still defective machines out there I should be concerned about?

My primary use for the MM211 will be aluminum work.

In fact my plan is to set it up with a spool gun and only the spool gun.

If I need to do any steel work, I'll change the gas and run steel wire in the spool gun.

Search MM211 and you'll see the threads about 211's that have had problems when connected to 240v but run fine on 120v.

Not a lot of them but it has happened.
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

Quote Originally Posted by Broccoli1 View Post
    Search MM211 and you'll see the threads about 211's that have had problems when connected to 240v but run fine on 120v.

Not a lot of them but it has happened.
    So you don't know if this is an issue that has been resolved or not, I guess on Monday I'll make a few phone calls to see what's up with 211's.

I have good relationships with several welding suppliers who also happen to be Miller dealers.

Thanks for the heads-up.

I have VERY little welding time (some of it is stick) and NO training on wire-feed (though I've burned a few spools), and I haven't been able to get a bad weld out of my new 211 on 110 or 220, lap or square, push or drag, even a little vertical, 14ga up to 5/16", indoors or in a small 8'-fenced side yard, day or night, using a crappy AD helmet. I'm not saying they're ALL the prettiest beads you'd ever find, but they're holding up, and the big ones look almost professional. I had a little problem with one of the hots coming out of the outlet I wired up, but that was obvious when the machine wouldn't power up. The only "special" steps I took were to polish all the contacts & apply silicone ELECTRICAL grease (NOT dielectric, thermal, or chassis) to the gun tube & O-rings, the work clamp terminal & bolt, and the MVP pins.

So if there were problems with 211s, mine isn't among them. It came from eBay, and while I was doing a little modification on it last night, I noticed the build date on the rectifier board was only a few months old.
    Last edited by Steve83; 12-08-2012 at 12:51 PM.