Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Ok, I'll try to find another battery.

Check the charge circuit wiring at your WELD/POWER throttle switch. Sounds like it's wired wrong as cruizer indicated.

Make sure wire #21 to battery (+) is connected to the COM terminal, #22 connects to #21 in POWER and #23 connects to #21 in WELD modes.
    MM200 w/spot controller and Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180 SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus LPG/NG w/14-pin*
    *Homemade Suitcase Wire Feeder
    *HF-251D-1
    *WC-1S & Spoolmatic 1
    PakMaster 100XL
    Marquette "Star Jet" 21-110

I checked the wires. I have the schematic diagram in front of me. #21 is connected to the common switch terminal. It switches to #23 on high rpm and to #22 on idle. I disconnected #22 and #23 and used a continuity tester to make sure the switch was selecting the correct wire at the correct throttle position. I also checked to make sure that #22 and #23 were not shorted to each-other in the switch. I followed the wires back to the windings to make sure they were connected in the right order. I can't find any wiring issues. Today I was getting about 12.5v on idle and 15v on high rpm, seems a little better. I didn't have a tack on the machine today so maybe the rpm could have been a little out but it sounded normal. The only oddity I noticed today is that when I switched the machine from low to high rpm there was about a four or five second delay in the voltage change. I am using an old tester with a needle so I could see a gradual sweep of the needle as the voltage went up. When I rev up the motor it takes a little bit before the machine makes that recognizable whine that generators make when they are producing power. Yesterday it would produce voltage without hesitation.

Based on these new numbers and rereading your previous post, I'm now thinking things may be more normal than not. Especially if you checked charge voltage right after the load testing.

Let it run at weld speed and check voltage every 5 minutes and see what happens to the voltage. If it continues to drop to something between 13-14 volts I'd say all is well.
    MM200 w/spot controller and Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180 SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus LPG/NG w/14-pin*
    *Homemade Suitcase Wire Feeder
    *HF-251D-1
    *WC-1S & Spoolmatic 1
    PakMaster 100XL
    Marquette "Star Jet" 21-110

I put an inductive tack back on the machine today. The rpm was a little low. I decided to readjust things because I just got through cleaning the carb. As far as the welding/power mode issue, I think it is all ironed out. When in power mode I am getting the correct voltage from the receptacle with a load on the machine. In weld mode I get a correct reading with an amp probe on a lead while welding. The charge circuit is determined to stay above 15 volts (17.5v to be exact). I left the tack on while I played with the welder for about an hour and I also kept a volt meeter connected to the bat. The battery was in a state of overcharge for a while after I turned the machine off.