Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Diversion 180

Default Diversion 180

Welders, ( I leave myself out of that category as I am only a hobbyist) I went and looked at the Diversion 180 today. Played with the thing and it seemed simply enough. The price is right and I want opinions on the TIG ability. I can see welding Stainless Steel and iron, but I am not sure I would ever weld aluminum. Would I be better off saving my money and buying a Dynasty, or is there a better machine?

Do you have a stick machine ? The diversion is tig only. The syncro 200 will do tig and stick. Just thought I would mention.

Default Diversion 180

Thanks for the response. I will look at that one also.

I got a great stick machine, Trailblazer 302. It's the second one I bought after the first one was stolen early last spring.

Me too on the Trailerblazer 302. I would have bought a syncro 200 but got a super deal on a used 180 SD. I only use it for tig. My go to shop stick machine is a Miller CST 280.

Default Diversion 180

I also am a hobby welder. Just got a diversion 165, which is a bit less powerful, doesn't come with a foot pedal, and no MVP plug. I love the thing, wish I had the pedal and plug though. I would definitely recommend the diversion series. Small and convenient, but powerful enough for what I would weld.

What are you welding over there?

Quote Originally Posted by TBSwarr View Post
    I also am a hobby welder. Just got a diversion 165, which is a bit less powerful, doesn't come with a foot pedal, and no MVP plug. I love the thing, wish I had the pedal and plug though. I would definitely recommend the diversion series. Small and convenient, but powerful enough for what I would weld.

What are you welding over there?
    See Private Message.

From one hobbyist to another... It was always my theory that if you buy a TIG welder you should include AC capability. If you have a TIG welder A) you will come across something aluminum which you need to weld or B) someone hearing that you have a TIG welder will say "can you weld this aluminum for me?"

I purchased a Diversion 165 a little over 3 years ago. While I was trying to figure out the finger control torch (I had taken a TIG class 3 years before, was out of practice and had learned on a foot pedal) my step-son came by and said "can you weld aluminum?" He had two of sheets of aluminum which he wanted to use for some purpose but each had a couple of holes drilled in the middle. So the first thing I welded with the Diversion was someone else's aluminum

That said, the Diversion was a great machine. However, I wanted pulse capability and sold it a couple of weeks ago and purchased a Dynasty 200 DX. It is a good thing we hobbyists don't have to cost justify our purchases

Ken

If you will not be tig welding aluminum, you just need a dc stick welder to tig weld steel/stainless steel.
    If you have a good dc stick machine, all you need is a tig torch with a gas valve, a bottle of argon and a regulator/flowmeter. This is scratch start and is very effective and economical way to tig weld ferrous metals. You will not have a foot peddle or auto gas control but for tig welding ferrous metals, you don't need that stuff.
    If your just a hobby welder, you will find you will rarely have the need to weld aluminum.
    Last edited by snoeproe; 11-09-2012 at 08:02 AM.
    Lincoln Idealarc 250 stick/tig
    Century Mig
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
    Torchmate CNC table

Owner/Operator Devlin Metal Works
    Custom CNC Plasma Cutting and Welding

I have a Diversion 180 and a Trailblazer 302. Since the 180 is so portable, I just plug it into the TB302 when I'm at a job site. I like the 180 but it would be nice to have pulse.

I agree with all those that say you will certainly have a need for AC one day.
    Trailblazer® 302 Air Pak™
    Miller Dynasty® 350
    Millermatic 350P Aluminum
    Millermatic® 252
    Syncrowave 351

SuitCase® X-TREME™ 12VS

Multimatic™ 200
    Millermatic® 211 Auto-Set™ w/MVP™
    XR-Aluma Pro Gun
    Diversion™ 180

Spectrum® 625 X-TREME™

Thermal Dynamics® Cutmaster® 52
    Victor Oxy/Acetylene Set

I also agree, your friends will want you to weld aluminum. And it is so much fun.