Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Miller xmt 350 VS good shape - $1100 - good deal or not?

is it worth it ? I mainly want it for tig and stick (I have a mig). I'm not sure about the difference between this and the regular xmt 350 cc/cv. Any info before I agree to buy would be great. Thanks.

Default What do you need to do with a welder?

What types of welding do you need to/want to do? It's not a bad price if you have a suitcase wire feeder already. Look at the face plate to see all the available functions are what you have on your wish list. It's not a good deal if you don't get everything you want at any price.

Default My main need is to maintain tig welding skills.

I need to keep up my certs for 2 inch 6g carbon and stainless in case they go out during dry spells in work. Other than that it will mostly be used for personal projects. I wouldn't mind having something that I could do aluminum but not sure how much more a machine like that would cost.

Problem is that its a voltage sensing unit, so no 14 pin receptacle. Basically its a construction model. So its live all the time. Thats why you'd need a voltage sensing feeder.

Aluminum might be a problem since you have no contactor or even a way of hooking it up to the machine without a WC-115 with built in contactor.

Not a particularly popular machine, and the price reflects that.

Default Yes...

Even though thats an odd ball 350 vs, assuming it not stolen(be sure that model walks off many sites). 1100 for a inverter xmt 350 which will still run any feeder with a contactor is a good price. Be warned, if the case is beat up, it is very possible that welder lived a very hard life, I suggest popping the case off and looking at the internals for corrision.
    Kevin
    XMT 304
    Miller Spectrum 625
    Miller 30a spool gun
    S22a
    Miller Legend 302
    Lincoln LN25
    Ford f450 Maintainer Srv Truck

Default Thanks for the replys

Quote Originally Posted by Tryagn5 View Post
    Even though thats an odd ball 350 vs, assuming it not stolen(be sure that model walks off many sites). 1100 for a inverter xmt 350 which will still run any feeder with a contactor is a good price. Be warned, if the case is beat up, it is very possible that welder lived a very hard life, I suggest popping the case off and looking at the internals for corrision.
    Kevin
    The case looks to be in great shape. And the guy's small little shop is spotless looking. I think he is moving on to a more versatile welder. I'll probably buy it if everything checks out and maybe later do the same thing. I eventually want to be able to weld aluminum even if it's only for my home projects.

Just remembered, I've got a wrecked standard XMT 350, so for $450, you can have the front face, the display board, breakers and wiring for the conversion

Default Is it tough to convert?

Quote Originally Posted by cruizer View Post
    Just remembered, I've got a wrecked standard XMT 350, so for $450, you can have the front face, the display board, breakers and wiring for the conversion
    I've done a little electronic repair before, is this difficult?

Quote Originally Posted by b.maker View Post
    I've done a little electronic repair before, is this difficult?
    Nope just remove and replace components, nothing really technical.

Default Let me think about it.

I've also got a broken xmt 304 with 2 bad boards (213664 and 219820d). This was going to be a replacement. I'd like to have both machines (working of course) but the boards were listed as unrepairable and the upgraded cards that they need (240570 and 240500) are more than I paid for it. But it would be nice to have basically an equivalent machine as a replacement .