Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default First time stainless tig.

I have been wanting to build my own turbo set ups for a few of my projects for a while ,but have had no time. I had some pieces of 304 ss 1 1/2 sch40 pipe laying around. So i decided to build a jig for my chop
    saw for a a 4-1 merge collectors. im running a sync200 @ 75 amps. Also using a gas cup and back purging. This was the first test cuts on the jig and i still need to set the angles. I cleaned the pieces with a 3m disk real fast, ill trycleaning with better angles later. Any advice on getting better ? This is the first time welding stainless steel also.

You have any pictures of the cuts and welds ,would help.

While I have no advice to offer I'm looking forward to hearing what others have to say. I need to fab up some 1/2" fuel rails winter that I would like to do out of stainless tubing and I'm a hobbiest as well when it comes to welding.

Good Luck with your project.

Brian

Ill post some pics when im home, thought it did last night.

heres a few pics of the two pieces i cut last night, ill post more of what i accomplish tonight.

Thumbs up Hey every 1

Sometimes you need to make a tig weld in an area you can’t get to easily…like down in a hole…or a really tight corner like on a cluster weld on a 4130 chromoly airframe....or welding the corner of a drip pan from the inside. And if you have done that many times, you know that sometimes, if you extent the tungsten too far, you lose your gas coverage.

He said hes using a gas lens, thats fine for deep joints.

What's your flow rate and pre/post flow settings? It looks like the weld could stand to see some more gas coverage.
    Miller Dynasty 350
    www.bpautosports.net

Quote Originally Posted by Alex @ BPA View Post
    What's your flow rate and pre/post flow settings? It looks like the weld could stand to see some more gas coverage.
    I'm new to this thing called tig welding also so here's a ?.With the pic. that was posted how can one tell that the weld can use some more gas coverage?....Tax

Quote Originally Posted by racerx View Post
    I'm new to this thing called tig welding also so here's a ?.With the pic. that was posted how can one tell that the weld can use some more gas coverage?....Tax
    Since no one else answered, it has to do with the coloring of the weld. Although it's not so simple as other factors like heat also come into play. You try to get a silver/goldish color. When not enough gas coverage you can get more of a blackish or grayish color.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24