Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

I bought a 399 synch for 100, it was a great deal for me. Had access to the ability to repair a faulty board for 100, machine came with service manual. I have 400A service, a forklift, a crane, shop space, expert service technsion, spare torches, parts, made a lot of sense, filled a niche and is mostly retired, a spoolgun on a 210 put it to pasture. I did fix a rotted hose so I can use it if need be.

I got a ton of **** most people dont have, lets say hobby/ home and even some other small business, a lot of varied equipment. But I am real simple and can look back to see the view I had early on, how this has progressed. I would love to buy something new but at this poing nothing I purchace will make me any more money, none, only cost. Truth be known I could do most of what I do pretty well with a 200A compact and in fact do.

Reason I ask or wonder this,, and this is in all sincerity, of 10 or 100 people how many got real use for this,,, how many is it a hobby,,, how many see it as both, a learning curve I also understand, it could be worth that on its own. This is another whole point. Its a valid point. Only reason I question this is that would hate to see anyone sitting on the fence over this, having a debate, not buying a brand new Hobart cause some "real deal" is going to pop up around the corner etc.

As the cost drops on new ones, they invent this compact class etc it makes the incentive for someone like me less and less to go with used equipment, heck at one poing China couldnt make cheap and good enough,,, even now that point is becoming reality, gonna make small welding equipment even more competitive similar to common hand tools. There will still be a hi end market but the bottom is coming up fast.

Default pretty easy

Mr Berry it is really pretty simple to do. Check out the link earlier in the thread

I am sure it is. Its simple easy and can be practical for some people. It would work fine for me. No argument there. Another plus back in the day was a good welding machine cost a lot more than it does today.

I paid 600 or a pinch more for my first compact 230 machine from a dealer, can walk in now to a Home Depot and buy it for the same in todays dollars. They made the same machine for 25 yrs, still make it and it works good, real good.

Had this type of forum and a couple other things been available then, had I had a clue or how to then, yes, should have scored some old parts and the 600 to put together the shop machine, I always thought I would, I have the expertise but things never worked out, like waiting for a deal on a used hoist etc, Ceaigs list wasnt a wet dream It was easier and cheaper than when I needed it I bought new knowing that i would likely end up with it a long time.

With a little effort I bet I could buy a used one this old for 300, mine not used much, its had spikes in demand but not daily continual use, still works.

As a shop machine for a farmer, small weld shop etc that 200 would be great.

I never see my friends once they buy a 180 feeder. My neighbor moved here, would stop down once a week to weld something, got settled bought a 175, knows I got all the processes and portable so the compact is ideal, has stopped deliberately about once for an aluminum bracket in 10 yrs, came down for a couple pcs of steel yesterday.
    Last edited by Sberry; 12-04-2012 at 09:28 AM.

This is my time of day for reflection,, the real point I argue isnt the welder,,, ha, its some people I know personally, its hard to be nice when in general you would like to give a crap but the salvage gonna do kind of thing gets old when buying the most practical thing today would have paid off in a week. The money saved was minor at the time,, yes, different than a genuine hobby Agree that the 200 is a great project especially if a guy has time to put it together, even better if he has some use for it.

What fascinates me is the new, the cheaper and the faster, the easier, I got a bud in the biz, got about 3 engine drives in half repair, none work, got all kinds of crap but doesnt think he can afford to look at a 250 china inverter or a used Max for 300, aint bought a thing new in 20 years and it kills him, I give him welder rental, the guy makes a living, always gonna fix up some basket case though, his business would rocket with a cheap inverter on its own over night, gas, rentals etc.

I should have bought a Max earlier, I wish they had that when I was a kid. I always hated the sound of engine drives especially for general fab, if it was humanly possible I wanted to be on line power.

Probably 3 quarters of the work I do is pipe fence building. The rest is general fabrication, most of the time portable. what I will use the CP 200 for is to build gates instead of buying them. I can build them and sell them verses buying them and then just hanging them. so it won't get much of a workout. Mister berry what do you do, do you run the shop?

Quote Originally Posted by fencemaker View Post
    ... I can build them and sell them verses buying them and then just hanging them....
    Oh, I can see trouble on the horizon with this...

? How So ?

Yes, I am a farmer and our strong suit is shop related, we do all our own infrastructure. I used to do some contracting but this has eaten all my time. I keep enugh stuff around, tools, trucks, machines I could outfit a gang or 2 if I found something up my alley. Before some modern stuff it took a bit more, today could slide by with small genset and Maxstar for portable vs 4 engine drives I rarely use anymore,, ha, I got an SA200 that could go if someone wanted it bad enough. I need to have the tig,, just in case but the Hobart 210 with sopoolgun has pretty much retired it. I need the 250 class mig about the same way, had a day or 2 and couple hrs I absolutely needed it a while back, havnt turned it on since but about once. I do use a few sticks, around and out the door, use the same AC/DC Linc buzzer I had for 25 plus years. I think I used engine drive about twice last year, my stuff is dixed up, lots of it built, very few real field breaks etc, occasional customer that finds me etc. Most of my machines gather a little dust except for the little feeder by the vise bench, its a rare day it doesnt get used.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Sberry; 12-05-2012 at 08:26 PM.

This is my money maker
    Attached Images Attached Images

How often you doing this, single hand? Full time? I remember you mention some in earler threads I believe but cant remember the details.